How many of you are MACHINISTS for a living?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I was just wondering. How many of you are MACHINISTS for a living (professional machinists), not just a hobby?

Can we get a show of hands please?

They kicked me out of that Wondrous trade after 50 years, so I started my own shop.

41 years plus 3 years vocational. I still am on the floor using manual and CNC and trying to teach and find the ones that want to acuire the skill instead of the paycheck.:headache:

Count me in as number 5 on the list in the old school shop.

I'm the retired master toolmaker for Colonial Williamsburg. Have an extensive home shop.

Followed my brothers footsteps and started in 86. Finally starting to acquire some machines for the garage to piddle with and try to teach my 15 year old son some basic machining. Love the forum.

I have been making a living as a machinist for 30+ years. I always tell people that ask, you won't get rich as a machinist, but you will always be busy.
Never had a problem finding work.

I spent 23 years as a research machinist with a DOD contractor. Currently I do more design than machining but still do a fair amount of prototype machining at home for my current employer, mostly my own designs.

Tom

Back