How Do You Cut Screws To The Proper Length?

What do you use to cut down machine screws?

• Hacksaw

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Machine tool- please specify

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Machine tool with specific jig- please specify

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I just buy new screws of the proper length

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I just bite them off to the correct lenght

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apologies cause i read you more than i write.

And apologies cause i need two post more to be able for post photos.

Enviado desde mi zapatofono por Rantamplan

And apologies for mi poor English too 

I use nuts with one cut in the side.
In this way don't damage the threat and is completely fixed to do all we want with it.

Is usefull in the lathe too.

I am surprised to see that nobody has mentioned before.

a66eb29b488f54a11f3c4a56e0c1233f.jpg

a1536f3a65be2354d06777d95733b869.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Stanley 84-205A bolt cutter that I inherited from my Dad which works well up to 5/16". What I didn't know until I just Googled this tool is that it is rather rare and goes for crazy big money on ePay. It works like one of the combination wire stripper things but on steroids. For larger stuff I use the 2 nuts and a hacksaw method.

stanley_84-205A_1.jpg

stanley_84-205A_2.jpg

Pictures found on web because I was too lzy to go take my own.

Last edited:
Electrical Crimper for machine screws. Anything larger, dbl nut and cut off wheel, chase thread with nut and dress smooth with grinder. All -Thread I can use my collet chucks in the lathe.

For small screws, I use the wiring tool with screw cutter and put a nut on short of the cutter, but for 4-5mm and up I allways put 2 or (if room) 3 nuts on it and put it in the lathe 3-jaw. It is very easy to get the right shortening everytime if you have a DRO (Probably without a DRO too). When the 2 or 3 nuts are removed, there is normally no need to clean up the thread. It is also easy to put a nice chamfer on in the lathe.
If you want rounded screw ends, use a radius milling cutter as a turning tool.

Kai

Shortening small machine screws using the a crimper (Klein is excellent) you really don't need to add nuts, as the tapped hole in the tool chases the threads for you, if you insert the screw from the right direction.

Nor is a lathe needed to bevel the end. Very fast to simply spin the screw against a grinding wheel or sanding disc..

Back