How Do You Cut Screws To The Proper Length?

What do you use to cut down machine screws?

• Hacksaw

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Machine tool- please specify

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Machine tool with specific jig- please specify

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I just buy new screws of the proper length

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I just bite them off to the correct lenght

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I don't know about you guys, but I often find myself cutting screws shorter for various projects. Usually I hacksaw them and grind down the end. I find it hard to get the length just right and sometimes mess up the threads if the saw slips.
I am thinking about a purpose built jig or even a whole tool to deal with this common problem. I would like to know if anyone has a special tool for this and what various techniques people use for this task. Any ideas appreciated.
R

Last edited:
If length is critical, I usually put a nut on to the screw where I'm going to cut it. Sometimes I'll put 2 nuts on and lock them together. Then I cut against the nut with a hacksaw or band saw. The nut served 2 purposes, to hold the length and to form the threads on the screw as you back off the nut. The nut does it for me.

I don't know about you guys, but I often find myself cutting screws shorter for various projects. Usually I hacksaw them and grind down the end. I find it hard to get the length just right and sometimes mess up the threads if the saw slips.
I am thinking about a purpose built jig or even a whole tool to deal with this common problem. I would like to know if anyone has a special tool for this and what various techniques people use for this task. Any ideas appreciated.
R

For small screws I have a combination wire cutter/stripper that shears them off. It has threaded holes in one jaw at a point where the jaws overlap and the other jaw is hardened and sharpened. Larger ones I cut with the bandsaw (run a couple of nuts on first). If I only need to remove a little bit I use the grinder.

When cutting screws with a hacksaw also use some nuts. Put several nuts on, jamming a couple together to hold the screw, clamp the nuts in a vice, and cut next to one of the nuts. Backing the nuts off will clean up the threads.

I do like Marcel does, putting a nut on before cutting with a hacksaw.

With small screws, up to #10 screws or there abouts, I use a crimp connector plier that also has threaded holes set up for the various size screws. Open the plier, thread the screw in to the appropriate depth, then cut off the end that is not needed, then remove the screw. No fuss, no muss.

I also edited your poll for you. Took me a minute to find where I could do so though!

I just cut the bolt or screw by hand with a cutoff disc in an angle grinder or a small air die grinder to the length needed--then I hold the bolt to about a 45 degree angle to the grinder or sander and rotate the bolt once around---it works every time----putting a nut on first and then backing it off works ok--but still may have a sharp end on the screw that still needs to be ground smooth-----that's why I just grind them to begin with since it is faster---you don't have to find a nut--- and always works----Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Terry!
I am thinking of screws ranging from #4 to about 1/4". I have used the electrical pliers. I use a lot of SS hardware which is a little tough on them. I find it hard to hold some screws in the vise or band saw to cut them.
I want some way to make this process quick and accurate. It cannot take long to set up or use.
Two ideas occur to me:
Build a jig for my vertical bandsaw where the screw is held in a threaded plate. That would be quick and easy. The end would probably need to be ground a little.
Mount a threaded plate in my tool post and put a slitting saw in the lathe chuck. That would give a nice clean cut and be accurate but the setup is a little longer.
Other thoughts?
R

Stainless screws do take their toll on a crimping plier, for certain. My favorite for stainless screws is a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool or a Foredom style flex shaft tool. Making your own die plate to thread the screws into, then cutoff with a fine cutoff disc might be the way to go.

I use bolt cutters for up to 3/8" or 10 mm and put a thread die inside the cut, which is removed after cleaning the cut in a bench grinder. For larger bolts I use a grinding cutter.

I use the wiring pliers. I have a set for US and metric. Sizes above that go to the chop saw. I put a nut on to make them level.
Sometimes I just hold them in hand and cut with the 4" angle grinder with cut off blade..Grade 8's don't need a nut to take off and clean up the threads, on lesser grades it is handy to have the nut to straighten the end thread as it is removed.

Back