How do I remove this key

Hi guys.
I need help removing this 3/8"×1/2" key. I can't grip it enough with pliers and it is tight in the keyway.

Please help.
Michael

The images show some form of foreign material on the long axis of the key; looks like solder. Is that complicating your effort?

Would a heatgun work?
Oh yes - but I was thinking about the plastics on the oil seal, and the grease in the bearing.

If it were a stuck car suspension steering joint, one gets out the oxy torch, and gets it hot. This is usually enough to mess with whatever surfaces got stuck. After a cool-down, the unequal expansions and contractions between interior and outer, move the stuck surfaces relative to each other that tiny bit as to upset their bond, and they drop free. None of this "hot stuff" is OK when what is in there is one's precious spindle!

I was a little surprised I had to read all the way to post 24 before someone suggested diagonal side cutters. That's what I use, gives some bite just where you need it and leverage to boot. If you need better leverage a flathead screwdriver between the cutters and shaft.

John

Key is square so you know how thick it is.

Center punch then drill hole in key and if you go into shaft it does not matter, shaft slotted for key after all.

If you have a drift punch drill same size as punch then fill hole with oil, let wick in and repeat until full.

Place drift punch in hole just at top then tap with hammer, that may jack it out.

Not, then drill larger holes until the hole is same as key and then you can break it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back