How do I remove this key

Jeez, I just remembered a trick for this kind of thing. Weld a scrap of something to the key. It will heat the parts, and provide you with something to grab onto at the same time. This trick has gotten me out of a jam more than once!

Sounds like lots of us have run into this kind of thing before :cool:
Last toughie I had was a stuck socket setscrew in a cast iron step pulley and the setscrew socket was totally rounded. That took some finagling
-M

Sounds like lots of us have run into this kind of thing before :cool:
Last toughie I had was a stuck socket setscrew in a cast iron step pulley and the setscrew socket was totally rounded. That took some finagling
-M
That is where I use HF torx bits, sacrifice the bugger, it worked for 1 of my flycutters.

There are a lot of good ideas here, but I would avoid doing anything that will cut or nick the shaft. I have seen many keyed shafts fail and it is always around a feature.

No wait, it wasn't a rounded setscrew, it was the burr on the shaft after I took the setscrew out. I ended up making a kludge end-mill by grinding off the end of a drill bit and driving it into the burr with my Makita drill.
Worked, removed the burr and freed the pulley
-M

Back