How do I indicate in something SQUARE?

Wife and kid were away today so I got a lot more progress!

I got it shaped down on all 4 sides, and it looked pretty good on all my squares! I popped it on the grinder, and found it wasn't grinding it as flat as it looked! It took me enough thay every corner was wrong before I figured out there was a chip embedded into my mag chuck! It took a minute with my flat stones to get rid of, but by that time it had screwed up all my squares surfaces :(

Frustrated, I went to the mill to drill/tap the screw pattern. I got all but the tapping done tonight... Just 48 more to go!

In retrospect, I wish I'd done 1.5" on center instead of .75", but at least I know I'll have plenty of bolt down spots!

My next 2-3 days in the shop are likely just manually tapping these (I'm not brave enough to power tap steel, I did with my aluminum pallet, but this one scares me!).

After that, I'll probably regrind the big surfaces, then map out the squareness of each corner.

Attachments

• PXL_20211101_012230027.jpg
    PXL_20211101_012230027.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
If you have no reference square - angle plate or dti, use both blocks to grind each other square. Once the blocks are ground parallel clamp them to each other and then rotate 180 degrees to see double the error. Shim one block until the other cleans up when clamped on opposing faces. A vertical face is now established etc....
Link to complete method -

Thats an interesting method! I've seen a few folks use the a DTI to calculate how much of a 'step to leave, so I am probably going to do that... whenever I get back to this project, haha!

Back