How do I cut this slot?

Well so far so good guess.
Made a couple goofs but nothing I could not fix such as cutting the big hole TOO big, GRRRR
And drilling the hole for the threads the wrong size which required going with 3/8" instead 5/16" the print calls for.
Still have to cut the flats and make the cap.
Overall a journey up the learning curve today in the shop.
Don't see how this could be done with out flipping the part at least once

Attachments

• DSCN8858.JPG
    DSCN8858.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN8859.JPG
    DSCN8859.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
How many of these do you have slit? If you have a bunch of them I would setup a simple jig to hold a half dozen of them at once and just go down the line of them with the slitting saw.

You could do that whole part in one setup except face the end to clean up after cutting off.

How then do I bore the 1"in the other end hole after turning the 2 steps?

How then do I bore the 1"in the other end hole after turning the 2 steps?

I believe he’s suggesting holding from the shank end. Drill and bore the end. Turn the reduced shank. Part off.

The potential issue with that approach, I would have thought, is the excessive stick out when boring. I guess you could set up a steady rest?

Lot of weight in a piece of 1.5" CRS sticking out there
I only have a SB 9A w/a small spindle and no steady rest.
Thanks for the reply!
Anyway, I'm happy w/what I have so far.
Runout may be an issue though
Film at eleven! Ha Ha!!

When I made mine, I cut the shank, then dialed that in with the 4-jaw before making the end bore. I think my issue is more with the cap piece being slightly too small but I’d have to investigate further to be sure. I might try making the next one in a single setup to see how it goes.

Arbor side Closest to chuck. Use a live center for all ruff turning. Once turned remove center, bore to spec, then cutoff.

Should've posted this awhile back . For one off jobs it's very easy to cut a slot with a boring bar also . Grind up an 1/8" HSS bit into an .090 parting tool and mount it in a bar at 90 degrees . Basic fly cutter that will slot .

Back