How did you learn?

I didn't have access to any kind of shop courses. So I just started doing stuff. Asking questions on this forum and watching videos. Especially Mr Pete's videos. I practiced on ordinary pvc pipe. Nothing to any kind of measurement. Just going through the process of threading and turning. I think that my first real project was to make an axle bushing for an old home build utility trailer that had been left abandoned on my property by the previous owner. This required fairly precise turning to both ID and OD and also to width. Instead of buying a qctp I decided to make one. I made a norman style qctp. This was a great learning experience. Lots of turning to precise diameters. Drilling and threading holes. Milling slots. Then on to other projects. Made a chuck for my er32 collects. Metric and imperial threads, turning an internal taper.

That's how I have been learning this stuff. It is a slow process for me.
I like the idea of practicing on PVC pipe. Low risk, low cost and gets a feel for the machine and forces involved.

That’s because they only teach CNC any more. They don’t teach basic lathe and mill skills. Those are a dead and gone skill set. As a country we are in deep $hit! Those skills have been transferred, you guessed it to China and other low cost countries. It’s a shame. In high schools they no longer teach shop nor home economics. As a country we are in real trouble in this area!

That may be true in some places, but in our area training on ALL types of machinery has seen a resurgence in the last 10 years or so. Back in the 1990's the local technical colleges didn't see much of a future in training potential machinists. They closed down their apprenticeship program and curtailed classes to almost mothing. As the baby boomers began to retire and the local shops needed replacements the schools realized they didn't have anyone ready to jump into the market place. They began a crash program of revitalizing their shops, purchasing up to date equipment, and hiring new teachers.

Our local technical college now has 4 huge machine shops with nearly 200 pieces of both manual and state of the art CNC machines. For those pursuing a degree classes in manual machine operation is mandatory. These are the beginning level classes that teach all the relevant theories, and require building one or more complete operable machines to move to the next level. On the first day of the first class after going through all the safety protocol the students are handed a HSS lathe tool blank, and given a choice as to what they would like to make for their first project. The tool will be used and modified throughout the course of the class to build of the project.

As for me, my education in machining began in an experimental machine design shop of the company I worked for. My original responsibilities included diagnosing problems with machinery the company was already building, and offer design improvements that would increase the productivity and minimize downtime. Often times the design improvements required building new parts or modifying existing parts.

The shop employed about a dozen machinists, many of whom came from the old country (Germany) after the war. They were hard headed, extremely disciplined, and low on patience for people who didn't strive for perfection. I spent hours watching (drooling) over their shoulders in awe of their skills, and what they could make the machines do. After a short few weeks one of the crustier, but extremely talented, machinists asked If I would like to learn how to operate the machines, rather than just standing there google eyed and drooling all over the place.

Thus began my introduction to the world of machining. I spent over 10 years in that shop soaking up as much knowledge as my brain could handle. I didn't realize it when I first started there, but one of my fellow co workers was actually a high school shop teacher for several years before he came to the company. Between him and the older German machinist I was exposed to more knowledge and information than I could have gotten in 20 years of formal schooling. The best part was not only did they give you the information necessary to perform the tasks at hand, they also walked through the process step by step to insure you understood what they were saying , and were capable of making a quality part. I don't think my skills could hold a candle to any of them, but I certainly appreciated the fact that they were willing to teach me what I needed to know to succeed in the shop environment.

Alas some years down the road most of the machinists retired, and the shop was closed. However much to my delight the company offered up most of the machinery for sale. Having been bitten by the bug, I decided it was time to expand my own shop, and purchase (with the permission of my wife) a few of the machines. In total I purchased 6 machines from the company, and along the way have added another dozen and a half from other sources. I must say I enjoy working with the machinery on a daily basis. I also have seen the quality parts they can produce. I also know that if a finished part isn't of the quality it should be, I only need to look in the mirror to see who's responsible.

. Don't be afraid to make mistakes because you will. I was told by a retired tool and die maker that the sign of a good machinist is how well they can hide their mistakes. Don't be scared to try something as long as you're going to be able to walk away with all of your fingers and toes.

Bruce

As far as mistakes are concerned. One of our older German Tool and Die Makers told me, It's not a mistake if you can fix it before the boss sees it"

So, say hello to the uneducated, pot smoking, motosickle riding, long haired, hippie freak. At least, that's what the old folks called me when I was younger. Admitedly, I never finished grammar school, never went to high school. Got my (offshore) EE long after finishing my military service. Spent most of my youth helping take care of both disabled parents. (I'm the oldest) And playing trains. Learned to ride motor cycles while in the service. And garnered a few medals in the process.

Learned electricity because I wanted my trains to run better. Learned machining because I wanted parts for my trains that cost too much. Had an electric drill that I chucked up in a vise and carved the part with a file. Destroyed more than I finished. And destroyed a lot of tools in the process. But kept scrounging and trying 'til I could do better. Learned how to build houses from my Pop. Old school carpentry. Learned to lay bricks (sorta) because I had to.

That's how I learned the craft. Still learning, for that matter. How to break tools and learn machining. In a dozen easy lessons. There is no easy way, just do each step as you go. And have a large budget for tooling that you will break. Ask lots of questions. And lots of books on the subject. Once you think you're pretty good, find an old timer that can show how good you aren't. Better'n any school in the long run.

I have to wonder how many others around have their future profession listed as a machinist in their high school yearbook ? Damn , I musta been a dumb arse in HS . :big grin: As far as college , I very much so enjoyed the technical classes , the general classes I was bored stiff .

My middle school was built and opened 1 year before I went there. 8th grade shop class was 1/2 a year of machining, welding, casting, forging and other serious metal work and 1/2 a year of general shop work. Sheet metal, plastic, and artsy crafty stuff that didn't do anything for me so I lobbied to continue on in the machine shop and was allowed back in for the rest of the year.

The instructor in the metal shop was a retired machinist who started teaching after 30 years in machine shops and was approaching retirement as a teacher. I believe he left at the end of my 8th grade year. He was a wealth of knowledge on machining and let me push the boundaries of 8th grade shop class. Since there were 25 other kids in the class I couldn't spend all my time on one of the 2 brand new lathes so learned how to run the mills, 2 big Bridgeports that intimidated me, how to weld, stick, gas, MIG and TIG right at the end when the new welding machines arrived. I liked welding and was pretty good at it but my favorite was the lathe. By the end of the year I was helping others with getting things done.

After that, I would go to the metal shop in the high school during lunch and work with the lathes but then I discovered girls and photography and stopped spending time in the shop. I always missed it but never really had a chance to do anything about it until this year.

Thinking back on those shops full of machines which are all gone now, replaced by computer labs, I never had it so good and the kids these days are losing out on a lot of fun.

Self taught with a lot of help from the TRW model shop. Couple guys in the pistol club were master model makers, their stories had me in stitches.

This a great resource for me as it covers the fundamentals.

Another one in the same vein - Navy Machinery Repairman 3&2 (advancement book):

The MR book is pretty good, not too many serious errors.

You can also search Google books for other US Navy technical stuff - Tools & their uses, Blueprint reading, ect. Even some semi-obsolete stuff like pattern-making (for mold making, back when the Navy didn't outsource everything).

8,000 hour apprenticeship. Shortly after that I was asked if I'd foreman afternoon shift. I said "No, but I'll be group leader till you find a foreman. In that and the subsequent factory I wound up the Hightest paid hourly worker in the factory.

Back