How did you learn?

Last edited:
I was looking for course at my local vocational college and I came up blank. I can learn welding or sheet metal work but no machinist course work.
I'm thinking that's a function of the lack of industry in my local area.
So it makes me wonder, where does a person get machinist training today?
With YouTube like Tubalcain/Mr.Pete and this place and practice you can learn all you need. John Saunders of NYCNC learned everything off the net and he's a big deal now. I learn more by doing a project than lectures. Harold Hall's books are a good place to learn as he shows making clamps, then jigs, then tools in a very logical order. I've always been a self learner and to me it's all about applying myself through projects to learn the skills.

One option if you can get away for a week is this;

Scroll down to NRA summer classes, and check out the ‘Machine shop for gunsmiths’. There are probably similar courses at other gunsmithing schools. Seems that most community colleges are dropping machine shop programs, but still necessary for gunsmith training so still part of those programs. Oriented towards aspiring gunsmiths, but a week of mill and lathe training is transferable to general machining work. Great way to get started with the basics. And make some chips using someone else’s machines.

There are tons of books and videos available nowadays, Dave. The How to Run a Lathe is a good one, as Winegrower said. However, you will find that nothing will teach you more than just turning down some stock on your lathe. Watch your tool cut, listen to and feel your lathe as it loads up, pay attention to what different speeds and feeds do when roughing and finishing. The lathe is the best teacher there is for learning how metal likes to be cut ... if you pay attention.

The most important questions are what, why, how, and how much. Do your homework, search the net, watch videos or ask the guys on the forum but answer these questions and you'll progress much faster. It isn't enough to know which lathe tool to buy; you need to know why its the right one, how to use it and so on.

Try to know why you need every single thing you buy, then buy what you need and hold off on things you simply want until it turns into a need. It will pay off to know which tool is the best of its kind; then go find it on ebay for a killer price. Over time, your shop will be filled with top quality tools that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Youtube and forums have taught me tons.
I've watched hours upon hours of videos by people like Abom79, Keith Fenner, This old Tony, Oxtoolco, MrPete222, Keith Rucker and so on.
Other good recommendations as a beginner are these: Blondihacks, Timnummy and Practical Renaissance.

Google is also an amazing resource. Whenever you find a roadblock, google it to get inspiration and then try again.
If it's something super specific, ask on a forum!

At the end of the day you just gotta spend hours with the machine you're trying to learn. Theory is important but practical experience is vital.

Choose a project, something that has quite a few parts.
Break it down into simpler bits and start making them.
Every time you get to a bit that stumps you google and youtube it.
As you get better go back and remake the bits that were ok but should be better.
It doesnt matter how long it takes or how many mistakes you make because you are learning heaps as you go.
Pretty soon you will have finished the project and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Experience is the best teacher (coming from an old teacher)

Back