How big of a cut 9x20 import

I don't think anyone would choose 12L14 for hardening. I'd guess that the majority of hobby work is never hardened
Read the quote I was replying to Larry.
I think 12L14 case hardens well enough. But it's a relatively low carbon alloy (14% IIRC), so it won't harden through.

Yes, I'm doing the heat treatment and hardness testing. All of these sockets have passed "inspection", so heat treatment is the fun part of the project. The recipe is 1600 oF for 1 hour, quench in medium oil (Parks AAA in this case), and draw at 825 oF for 2 hours. Then sand blast, another round of inspection, and black oxide. I have the Caswell kit which is just a dunk. Previously I've used the stuff from McMaster which is a paint-on gel. I think Mr Bar-Z uses that stuff on his mini squares.

View attachment 473614
I was replying to that post; and the original question concerning cutting speed at the top of this post which is why I posted the pic of the EMJ Manual, sorry if that was vague. Additionally the between was a shift is conscientious thought that I failed to delete sorry for the confusion; so, not certain how to take your reply.... I do have a copy of the "Metals Handbook" if you need further information

After being on this forum for a while I do not underestimate anyone here and their abilities/desires to do almost anything. ;)

Here's a picture:
That looks like a great insert for difficult material, positive, slick & sharp. Should make life easier for any lathe. The cutting edge looks fragile though. Is it?

Last edited:
Back