How big a lathe/mill is enough?

Awesome machine man. I watched their comp between them. It was cool I guess. But I am just talking how the man works day to day. Them big boys make things go so fast compared to these little bench lathes. Although quarter inch would be a dream I could sleep really good with .1 which I dont think is all that much compared to what I get from my small one
My Monarch is the same size as Adam's, just shorter. BUT I wouldn't take the risk of damage my 70 year old machine like Keith, Adam and Tom did to see whose lathe had the biggest Cojones with the Chip Control tests.
IMHO Adam's Monarch would have won the test and taken a much larger cut if he set the terms of the test. Slow down the RPM's to 17 and see what 5hp and a 1" hss bit can do.
Here is a peak under the lid

View attachment 88387

Right now I have 5 lathes in the shop - Grizzly 12x37, Logan 12x34, Logan 11x34, Logan 9x28, Atlas 6x18. I find myself using the 9" lathe most of the time. Frankly I'm not as young and strong as I once was, and I just don't want to manhandle anything that requires a 12" lathe. Or maybe I'm just lazy. At any rate, most of the projects I do fit fine in a short 9" lathe. But I'll probably settle on the 11" as the keeper.
Same with the mill. Bridgeports is the standard, but my Millrite is about 80% of the size (8x36 table) and does everything I need to do. My other mill is a Centex (Rockwell) 6x26, and it would do 95% of the items I machine.
Right now I'm trying to downsize, so some of these "kids" need to find new homes. Sure hard to part with them.

BTW, all these came from Dallas. Most I paid for any of them was $1500, well-tooled. Watch the Dallas CL, and be prepared to jump in the truck with cash.

Awesome machine man. I watched their comp between them. It was cool I guess. But I am just talking how the man works day to day. Them big boys make things go so fast compared to these little bench lathes. Although quarter inch would be a dream I could sleep really good with .1 which I dont think is all that much compared to what I get from my small one

I was shocked(plesently) with the difference rigidity makes , i have taken 0.1 inch reduction passes making some bolts on my leblond, it didn't even vaguely seem taxed.

Stuart

When you first started out in woodworking, I'm sure that your first power tool was not a Delta Unisaw. Same thing with your first project, it was not a full size chest with dovetailed drawers. You started small and simple. As your skills developed, you became wiser in which tools to buy. This is not any different in metal working. I suggest that you stick with your 3-in-1 for a while. As you develop your knowledge and skills, you will have a better idea of what machines to buy, Also, bigger is not always better, a friend of mine works only on clocks. Hence, his lathes are watch makers size but they are of good quality.Most important, be safe, learn, and have fun.Mark

It is nice to take big cuts on the lathe and mill!
I am wondering if there is a misunderstanding on the size of cut Abom was taking. They said 1/4" cut; but I'm wondering if the actual cut was 1/2". In other words .250 off the radius is .50 off the diameter. I routinely take .150-.200 off the diameter; I have to remember to change the tool bit to something beefy. Tried using the Arthur Warner HSS insert tool bits, they weld some swarf to the tip. The little inserts are too thin and get real hot real fast.
Taking a large cut sure gets the job done fast.

Mike

Well by know you have found that everyone has an opinion. You will need to digest what has been presented and do what you think will work for you.

What has worked for me is a Bridgeport 9 x 42, a Southbend 10L, SB 9B and a Atlas 6. Now, I don't use the Atlas very much and I do like the SB 9, the only issue is the spindle hole size, at only 3/4 inch it limited some of the work I wanted to do. My favorite lathe is the 10L it has a 1 3/8 inch spindle hole. To me this is one of the important things to look for in a lathe, along with power cross feed, quick change gears....

In your case I would do what has do what has been suggested and use what you have. I think you will be surprised at what you can accomplish. I am also a woodworker and have found that it has helped me in my approach to work and how I do my set ups.

I am also wondering which 3 in 1 machine you have.

Paul

I guess you can go with what you have room for.

My Monarch is the same size as Adam's, just shorter. BUT I wouldn't take the risk of damage my 70 year old machine like Keith, Adam and Tom did to see whose lathe had the biggest Cojones with the Chip Control tests.
IMHO Adam's Monarch would have won the test and taken a much larger cut if he set the terms of the test. Slow down the RPM's to 17 and see what 5hp and a 1" hss bit can do.
Here is a peak under the lid

View attachment 88387

Now that is a lathe transmission!

THX for posting the pic!

Pmedic,

I retired and wanted to something else outside what I did before. I was in the same boat as you were when I decided to acquire my machines. After finding a couple of machines that were sold before I could decide due to my ignorance of these machines that I had to ask people about them, I eventually lucked out. Found a BP Series 1 2 HP and Taiwanese 1236 on a package deal. Both are well equipped, DRO, power feed, phase converter on the mill, Travadial, Aloris QCTP on the lathe and combined tooling and accessories in excess of 300 pounds. Not to mention 3 each steel sided work tables, 3 of which are rollers. Loaded on a trailer all for $5900. The BP was recently evaluated by a tool and die maker as excellent mechanical shape. Found them on CL located 2 hours from me, near Houston.

Floor layout in the garage was a challenge, my COO of 40 years allocated just half of the garage, she would not budge in parking her CTS on the driveway. To conserve space and allow room for expansion, like adding another lathe, I had to be creative. I set the 2 machines at an angle and facing each other so I have shared work space. The lathe is facing the back of the garage so I'll be looking out when working, where I spent most of my time on. The left half of the lathe is set even with end of the mill table when it is moved all the way to the left, which I do when running the lathe. The center of the knee is past the right end of the lathe. I still have space in between to move around, not much but adequate.

The acquisition was in Aug, now I think I am close to spending as much on more gadgets and neat stuff.

The right machines are out there. Patience is a virtue as the nuns said.

Last edited:
Just my words in here but guess what for half of what you paid for your three in one I had a excello 602 ( bridgeport style machine) and it was cnc but too outdated for my use. And I also got a American pacemaker ( look that up one hell of a machine) my machine are not worn out and I've rebuilt the excello. By the way I live in the south in georgia and see machines all around all the time. Just not always on craigslist but I see them at auctions.

Back