How big a lathe/mill is enough?

Hi Pmedic828 and all from the small end of the shop.

Yes it seems that most of the members on the site have large machines. but that is not really true I think it is possibly that they post more often than those with smaller machines and are new to the hobby.
One could say that the answer is to encourage the small machine owners to join in more, one of the things to remember is that we like ALL things that make chips, and it is not a shame to turn a 2" bar into a 1"bar if by doing so you have learnt something.
And as you may know photos of the new 1" bar are important so we can admire your new found skill.

The measure of the success of a project is the pleasure you get out of doing it .
A small machine is not as restrictive as some like to make out , take a look at my web page for a start(see bottom of page) and lots of others on the net. we are here to help you progress, find a project you like and go for it.

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Brian at the small end of the shop.

This hobby we have is a very slippery slope to embark on. Just like you I started out with a brand new 3-1 machine and was able to make chips right out of the box,(it's quite addictive). The more things you make, the more things you want to make and the size of those things tend to get bigger and more ambitious as your skills grow.

Many years after buying my 3-1, I now have 2 lathes, 3 mills, 4 drill presses, and the list goes on and on. My smallest lathe weighs 3500#s and my bigger lathe weighs 8500#s. I bought and moved all of my machines by myself, it takes good planning. I run all of my 3 phase machines on a rotary phase converter or VFDs. When on the hunt for a new machine, I'm not afraid to travel. I have driven all night with a trailer to pick up a machine that was 800 miles away from home, but it was a killer deal that I couldn't pass up.

The bottom line is that the size of your shop and machines within it all depends on how much time, money, and effort you are willing to devote to a hobby.

I made some really great parts with my 3-1 and so can you. What you can build is only limited by your imagination and creativity. Enjoy making parts and projects with what you have, and if you develop worse symptoms of the metal working disease, hold on because it's a very slippery slope.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

If the machine can hold the work, it is big enough. Guys make absolutely beautiful stuff on some vary tiny machines. I'm one of those bridgeport guys. I would rather have one then any bench mill under the 45's size. But there are guys making way nicer stuff then me on way smaller machines.

What your talking about is not needs as much as desires or conveniences. I can run my 9x20 better then my part time boss can run his 12x. But I can run that 12x alot faster then my 9x.
I just have a general question - how much mill and / or lathe is big enough? I have a small 3 in 1 machine because I do not have a machinist background. I am now retired, was an avid woodworker and decided that I would like to try my hand in metal. I purchased this machine for around 4k with VFD, DRO, etc. Now comes the question....
After reading posts from others, they talk of Bridgeport mills, CNC machines, South bend heavies, etc. When looking on the internet, these machines like the Bridgeport clones cost about 10K+ without accessories - the CNC machines cost big bucks also, I guess I am on a rant, but how much is big enough. I understand that some rebuild or purchase used machines, but here in the South, you can't even find a place to purchase raw stock, let alone, machines. It just doesn't seem right that as a beginner or hobbyist, you have to spend 50K plus to get a manageable machine. 8,000 lbs for a lathe might be good, but how do you move something like that = I also don't have 3 phase power available - it is available from the power company for a mere $25K to bring it in.
I understand that some of you are / were in the machinist business and are now retired, but where do you find this type of equipment? I've looked within 1K miles of Louisiana and there is none to be found; I couldn't move it if I did find it.
I apologize if this sounds like a rant, but it seems like other newbies post their 1st project, and it seems like it is a jet turbine or a complete racing engine. I think that I am doing great if I manage to single point thread, turn a square 4 inch piece of steel to a disk, or make a widget.
I am not complaining but frustrated because I have neither the money or the knowledge to even begin in this hobby? Your thoughts please? :banghead:

Thank you for all of your encouraging answers - I figured that if I keep plugging along, and keep it fun, my skills will improve - I really never imagined that I would build the next Space Shuttle, just attempt to repair something, turn little toys and projects, and amuse myself until I get too old to care! It is good to know that on this site, everyone is ready to help without criticism. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Go with the 3 in 1 you bought. Sounds like a nice machine. After learning more you may or may not find you need bigger equipment. You might find you have just what you need. Just start making chips.

Pmedic,
I bought my South bend heavy 13 for 2200 and it is in great shape. Added a 100 dollar vfd and was off to the races. I paid 1800 for my excello 602 mill and after vfd and varispeed bushings i was in business. I drove 10hrs to pick up my lathe and 2 hrs to pick up my mill. I buy almost all my stock very cheap from ebay.

Hey guys, after 40 years in this hobby, I've learned there is NO SUCH THING as a machine that is big enough or rigid enough. Same thing with shop space.

You will always yearn after the next nicer, larger, more rigid machine. AND use what you got in the mean time.

Karl

Thats true for me at least. I really want to peal off .25 chip but I'll plug along with my 9x for now ahahaha

Here goes a long winded rambling post, you mentioned several issues such as cost of 3-phase power, how to move large machines and finally how big a machine to purchase.
Many people are put off of 3-phase machines because they don't know how they will power them. There are two different camps on how to power 3-phase in the home shop. The RPC (rotary phase converter / static phase converter camp) and the VFD (variable frequency drive) camp. Each has it's own pros and cons. On the plus side the VFD will allow you to change the speed and reverse the motor on your lathe or mill, the negative is that you need a VFD for each machine (or motor if the machine has more than one). The RPC is the cheapest way to go if you want to power a number of 3-phase motors or wire a whole shop. You can purchase a RPC "Box" from a company like WNY Supply (http://www.wnysupply.com/) and build your own RPC, or purchase a Static Phase Converter, the down side of the static converter is that you need to de-rate your power needs by approximately 50%. I have $300 in my RPC, $200 for the control box and $100 for a NOS 15hp motor. I just gave a 5hp motor that I paid $20 on craigs list to a friend for his RPC. His lathe is only 1hp so the 5hp RPC will do him well with power to spare. Current pricing for a 5hp control box from WNY is $135, so the expense is not too much.
Once you have your power requirements figured out then you can shop for machines. I put a 15hp RPC in my garage because I didn't want to limit my search based upon the size/hp of the machine. I am over built on the power but it isn't an issue and I don't see any real increase in the electric bill.
If you are searching within 1,000 of LA, you should find a large number of suitable mills and lathes. The smaller machines may command a higher price than a huge industrial machine. I purchased my lathe from the estate of a long time machine shop owner, the South Bend and Logan lathes sold for $3,000 to $4,000; I paid just over $1,000 for a Monarch CW16. I wasn't shopping for a big lathe but $3000 was NOT in the budget. (I don't have $3,000 in the lathe, mill and shaper)
If you have a truck or suv that can pull a large trailer then you can move some pretty big machines by yourself. A lot of guys like the "drop bed" type of trailer where the trailer bed lowers to ground level, but don't overlook a tilt bed trailer.
I had my mill and lathe moved into my garage using a "roll back" tow truck. Each machine was lifted and lagged screwed to 4x4/4x6 runners, cross members were added to prevent side tipping. Driver winched the machine onto the truck, no problem. The lathe was 40 miles and the driver charged me $125, the mill was 25 miles and that driver charged me $100. I moved a 16" shaper about 300 miles using a tilt back trailer. I raised the machine onto runners lagged into the trailer and unloaded using a pallet jack. The shaper weighs in around 4,500-5,000lbs. A weekend rental of the trailer ran $89

Now your question was How Big, a lot of good work is done using Mini Mills and Mill Drills along with matching desk top lathes. The work envelop is smaller and your depth of cut is also smaller, it all depends upon what you want to machine.
What 3 in 1 machine do you presently own?
Here is a shot of the shaper in the driveway. If I can do it; ANYONE can do it, it'd be much easier if you have a buddy or two along to help :))

Shaper.JPG

Shaper.JPG

Sweet looking shaper there, Reeltor. What make is it?
Patrick

Back