Horizontal band saw helper

Nice job, sure beats looking around for the right spacers. Charlie
thanks Charlie, that's one of the most useful tools in my shop and those vise jaw mods made it so much easier to use
Probably a stupid question but how does that stay nut closed? Is there a lock or just by closing at the hinge point it stays closed on its own?
Not stupid at all - you could probably just use the force of the screw on the threads, but I added some rare earth magnets to both sides. It clicks closed firmly but it's easy to open. I think I made it by drill and tapping a solid piece and then cutting it down the middle, but it was some time ago now .

thanks Charlie, that's one of the most useful tools in my shop and those vise jaw mods made it so much easier to use

Not stupid at all - you could probably just use the force of the screw on the threads, but I added some rare earth magnets to both sides. It clicks closed firmly but it's easy to open. I think I made it by drill and tapping a solid piece and then cutting it down the middle, but it was some time ago now .
I have a 1940s/50s Craftsman bench top band saw that uses a half nut on the threaded feed screw on the vise. it allows you to loosen the screw and slide it out of the way, it's a great feature. When I bought in the 70s I thought the casting was broken. The thread was one which was flat on the pressure side, But not acme style. When I go to my sons I'll post a picture of it. Craftsman sold some really nice machines for the home shop back then, all American made with beautiful castings. Thanks, Charlie

Last edited:
The half nut seems like a good idea. I put a knurled knob on mine, no lock nut needed since I rarely do multiples. I've just got an old 4X6 bandsaw that I don't use unless my cold saw won't go big enough. Massive pneumatic vice on the cold saw that doesn't require spacers.

Back