Horizontal band saw helper

Just occurred to me that you could just drill and tap the movable jaw for say a 1/2" by 10" bolt with a lock nut on the back side, and you would be good to go without having any loose parts needed. Mike
Another great solution for making the work easier, and maybe saving an expensive saw blade. Thank's.
This is what I did, but after realizing how long it took to adjust the position, I made a quick-nut for it. Flip the lever and it releases.

View attachment 407509
I really like what you came up with here because your not relying on the corner of the original jaw casting, plus increasing it's width. Nice work.

Nice setup MrWhooppee. Refinement of ideas is what it's all about. Look at something long enough and the old brain kicks in, and shortly after you implement it, you, or someone else will come up with a better widgit. Mike

Nice setup MrWhooppee. Refinement of ideas is what it's all about. Look at something long enough and the old brain kicks in, and shortly after you implement it, you, or someone else will come up with a better widgit. Mike
Thats what it's all about. We all prosper from this site and that's the reason we are here. There's a lot of very knowledgeable members here who know there stuff. Charlie

Same general idea, I added sliding vise jaw extensions that can be extended to the edge of the blade for holding very short stock. I turned the head on a long threaded SS bolt that threads into the plate that keeps the jaws parallel when holding short stock. The stop system is articulated and has friction washers so it offers the ability to be adjusted for a wide range of odd material. I use to use flood coolant so also improved that system and added splash guards, but these days I use use less frequently and just run it dry for the most part. I relocated the run controls and switched to low voltage run controls with contactors for the saw/coolant motors. I find having a metal bandsaw of any size/type is indispensable for doing any kind of metalwork, huge time saver, and no way I could cut large diameter stock/block metal by hand.
Metal Bandsaw 1.jpg
Metal Bandsaw 2.jpgMetal Bandsaw 3.jpg

Same general idea, I added sliding vise jaw extensions that can be extended to the edge of the blade for holding very short stock. I turned the head on a long threaded SS bolt that threads into the plate that keeps the jaws parallel when holding short stock. The stop system is articulated and has friction washers so it offers the ability to be adjusted for a wide range of odd material. I use to use flood coolant so also improved that system and added splash guards, but these days I use use less frequently and just run it dry for the most part. I relocated the run controls and switched to low voltage run controls with contactors for the saw/coolant motors. I find having a metal bandsaw of any size/type is indispensable for doing any kind of metalwork, huge time saver, and no way I could cut large diameter stock/block metal by hand.
View attachment 407570
View attachment 407572View attachment 407573
Hi, very nice machine with an excellent, useful mod. and beautiful work. I can't agree with you more with the usefulness of having one in the shop. If for nothing else you get true 90 degree cuts. I would be lost without it. I also have Milwaukee portable band saws that are a life saver. I use them to rough cut long random cut steel and shafting stock then finish cut them inside with the band saw. Again, very nice mod's, and work. Charlie.

Don't have pictures of it, but I've used a drill press vise in my HF 7 x 12 to hold short stuff. Got the idea off this forum from someone who uses a machinists' vise.

Bruce

Back