Home made lathe taper attachment

TA

View attachment 120View attachment 121View attachment 122View attachment 123View attachment 126

flutedchamber,

Let's see if this works, attached are pictures of the "telescopic" cross slide screw I plan to use with the taper attachment.
Also attached is a pic of the TA layout. The forum won't allow me to attach a large pdf file to the thread.

If you like, send me your email address by PM and I'll send i to you.

BTW- that's a worn out crossfeed screw next to the new on I made.

Ken

I too am considering building a taper attachment, but confused about how the telescoping screw works. I get how it pushes/pulls the cross slide along, when cutting a taper. Where I get lost is how the cross slide holds position when not turning a taper. It seems the telescoping screw would simply let the cross slide drift away from the cut. Something has to prevent that. What am I missing?

I too am considering building a taper attachment, but confused about how the telescoping screw works. I get how it pushes/pulls the cross slide along, when cutting a taper. Where I get lost is how the cross slide holds position when not turning a taper. It seems the telescoping screw would simply let the cross slide drift away from the cut. Something has to prevent that. What am I missing?
You loosen the piece that would be clamped to the bed that holds the taper bar in place for cutting a taper. My layout does not have that piece, bed clamp, drawn in yet.
And I still have not built the taper attachment yet!

Have two lathes I'm trying to put back together and running before I can even think about building the taper attachment.

Ken

You loosen the piece that would be clamped to the bed that holds the taper bar in place for cutting a taper. My layout does not have that piece, bed clamp, drawn in yet.
And I still have not built the taper attachment yet!

Have two lathes I'm trying to put back together and running before I can even think about building the taper attachment.

Ken
Yeah, I get the part about loosening the clamp, I just don't get what keeps the telescoping screw from telescoping during a cut.

Back