Home made lathe taper attachment

author=4gsr link=topic=3765.msg28515#msg28515 date=1317829863
I one I designed for my 9" SBL has a true "telescopic" screw installed. I made the telescopic screw many years ago but never installed it. I'll dig it out and take a picture of it and post when I get a chance. I'll also pdf some of the drawing of the taper attachment also.

Ken

Thank you very much Ken. That would help me a lot.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
flutedchamber,

As soon as the forum settles down from it's changeover and I figure out how to post pics, I will up load them.

Ken

TA

DSCN1125.jpgDSCN1126.jpgDSCN1127.jpgDSCN1128.jpgTaper Attachment 9 South Bend.jpg

flutedchamber,

Let's see if this works, attached are pictures of the "telescopic" cross slide screw I plan to use with the taper attachment.
Also attached is a pic of the TA layout. The forum won't allow me to attach a large pdf file to the thread.

If you like, send me your email address by PM and I'll send i to you.

BTW- that's a worn out crossfeed screw next to the new on I made.

Ken

DSCN1124.jpg DSCN1125.jpg DSCN1126.jpg DSCN1127.jpg DSCN1128.jpg Taper Attachment 9 South Bend.jpg

I have to ask what is the bottom track and block for in the PM tapper attachment for the 9"SB lathe? I want to build a tapper attachment for my 12x36 lathe. I was thinking of basically copying a dovetail version from an original SB or changing it up to using round linear guide ways.

4gsr, did you try out your telescopic cross slide screw yet?
Inquiring minds want to know.
I know, holy dead thread revival Batman... :lmao:

I'm embarrass to say, I still have not got around to building the taper attachment. As for the telescopic screw arrrangement, I've got to go back and re-make the piece that has the gear teeth cut on it. I cut the teeth undersized by a bunch, over thirty years ago. I can't really try it out without the taper attachment.

I keep thinking about it. I'm building a new compound slide for my 13" Sheldon Sebastian lathe right now. Maybe, after I get that done start on the taper attachment.

Ken

I have a 9A that I am planning on making a taper attachment for.
Your screw got me thinking about if maybe I might attempt to try it.
Do you have drawings still, if so do you mind sharing?

Back