Home made lathe taper attachment

flutedchamber

Active User
Registered
I came here because of some information on a home made taper attachment for a lathe. I found a lot of good info, and together with what I have pictured in my mind I believe that I can make a simple but strong and easy to use unit.

However (you knew there was a catch) I have a question.

During the use of the taper attachment there is a force upon the guides of the attachment, that is the mechanism that runs parallel to the ways of the late.

Does anyone have an educated guess as to how much pressure would be exerted upon these guides during a taper cut?

I know it's a very general question and I'm not trying to be vague. Lets say taking a .020 cut in cold rolled steel. There has to be some pressure against the guide mechanism. I guesstimate about maybe 800 to 1200 pounds would be a safe bet. I understand that on one side of the piece being tapered it would be pushing, on the other side it would be pulling.

I wouldn't guess it would be much more tho..but then again I may be wrong.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. If I get this thing working I'll be glad to supply a drawing for others to build one from.

The primary force generated in a cut of an OD is downward, and you aren't involving the taper attachment in that direction at all. The pushoff pressure is fairly low if the tool is sharp. As a "sample" try to profile a taper maually, by turning the dial by hand. A taper that grows larger as it moves towards the chuck will have very little force pushing the tool into the cut, and I'd take a wild guess that much less than 100 lbs pushing the tool away from the cut. It will feel like you are kind of "allowing" the natural pushoff to move the tool away from centerline.

Are you considering making this a sliding block design? I just finished cutting some tapered threads on my old Monarch, and it's taper attachment uses 8 ball bearings, mounted on eccentrics, I believe. That gives it smooth motion with little friction, and little slop. Otherwise, you should use adjustable gibs if you want a tight block.

author=EdK link=topic=3765.msg27676#msg27676 date=1317379891
flutedchamber,

What lathe are you building the taper attachment for? Just curious.

Thanks,
Ed

I want to build one for my Nardini ND1760E.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've designed a telescopic taper attachment for my 9" South Bend Lathe. It's equipped with cam rollers and ball bearings for the slides. I haven't built it yet. Do have the material bought for it. Another back burner project when I get to it!

I have it drawn up in AutoCAD dwg 2D format. Might be able to scale it up for a larger lathe! Wish I had a 3D drawing package to put it into. ::shark::

author=Tony Wells link=topic=3765.msg27682#msg27682 date=1317385831

Are you considering making this a sliding block design? I just finished cutting some tapered threads on my old Monarch, and it's taper attachment uses 8 ball bearings, mounted on eccentrics, I believe. That gives it smooth motion with little friction, and little slop. Otherwise, you should use adjustable gibs if you want a tight block.

I was actually looking at the linear ball bearing and hardened shaft for my design.

author=4gsr link=topic=3765.msg27802#msg27802 date=1317437928
I've designed a telescopic taper attachment for my 9" South Bend Lathe. It's equipped with cam rollers and ball bearings for the slides. I haven't built it yet. Do have the material bought for it. Another back burner project when I get to it!

I have it drawn up in AutoCAD dwg 2D format. Might be able to scale it up for a larger lathe! Wish I had a 3D drawing package to put it into. ::shark::

AAh..a lathe near and dear to my heart. Do you have any pics you would like to post...seeing as I am still in the planning stages.

author=flutedchamber link=topic=3765.msg27816#msg27816 date=1317443055

AAh..a lathe near and dear to my heart. Do you have any pics you would like to post...seeing as I am still in the planning stages.

You want to see pictures of the 9" South Bend? or the taper attachment? The taper attachment is a pile of raw material awaiting to be machined into usable parts. :-\ It's one of those "round to it" projects.

Ken

author=4gsr link=topic=3765.msg28440#msg28440 date=1317782850
author=flutedchamber link=topic=3765.msg27816#msg27816 date=1317443055

You want to see pictures of the 9" South Bend? or the taper attachment? The taper attachment is a pile of raw material awaiting to be machined into usable parts. :-\ It's one of those "round to it" projects.

Ken

A picture of your plan would be great. I am interested in what you mean by 'telescopic' and how you address the crossfeed screw disconnection issue.

I one I designed for my 9" SBL has a true "telescopic" screw installed. I made the telescopic screw many years ago but never installed it. I'll dig it out and take a picture of it and post when I get a chance. I'll also pdf some of the drawing of the taper attachment also.

Ken

Back