Hitbox AC/DC welder from Amazon - Worth a try?

Should I get one of these on Prime or save up 10x as much before starting to learn TIG?

• Total voters
my son bought the first model Hitbox offered the MIG 250 a dc unit .

It welded, but No where close to my HTP 220 MTS.

I tested the amp output and wide open it would only put out 165 amps.
They also advertised that it accepted 8" rolls and they could not even be mounted. 8" rolls would have been outside the exterior of the box. I pulled the electronics and remounted the spindle lower and it did fit an 8" roll then. Just made me mad that even with pictures they wouldn't budge and just said 8 " rolls fit.

The diameter of the lead conductors is to small even for 125 amps imo. All that said it does work but It also had a tendency to drop out part way through a weld like the Voltage was dropping off and then surging back up.

That is Dirt cheap for any AC TIG.

I will bet they are exaggerating the output.

Last edited:
Definitely....

But in the scale of things bought for this hobby I've actually ended up getting much more than I've paid for thanks to some very generous sellers and good timing.

There may come a day when a really nice TIG machine pops up on Craigslist for $500. But, my space is small so the nice (large) older machines are pretty much out of the question. I know I can buy a good name brand unit for $3k, or a mid-range China built one for $1500, but I have an agreement with my spouse that anything over a certain $$ amount needs to be discussed ahead of time and I'm not sure I want to go to bat for a Miller Dynasty 210 just now. With my AMEX points I'm down to about $100 out of pocket for this one.

I have a project for my motorcycle that needs aluminum welding and I have a guy who can do it. But, with all the tools and time I've put in I just kinda want to try and get it done myself.

John
I have also moved on an item that was too good to be true, which I believe most of us have, admit it or not. But in truth, I really have to admit some worked out pretty well. So considering there are many situations that lead one to move on an item I have to agree with you 100%. Thanks.

I'll be interested to see how you find it. The actual model I'm interested in is a different HITBOX model but your experience with a HITBOX welder will help me decide the quality of their kit in general I reckon.

I'll have a couple of fair to middling weight work benches to build in the new year and I fancy learning some simple welding and the model I'm looking at ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09MYYP...DII&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1) looks to be ideal for me.

I have also moved on an item that was too good to be true, which I believe most of us have, admit it or not. But in truth, I really have to admit some worked out pretty well. So considering there are many situations that lead one to move on an item I have to agree with you 100%. Thanks.

Yep It is amazing how some of the new import stuff works out really well.

Definitely....

But in the scale of things bought for this hobby I've actually ended up getting much more than I've paid for thanks to some very generous sellers and good timing.

There may come a day when a really nice TIG machine pops up on Craigslist for $500. But, my space is small so the nice (large) older machines are pretty much out of the question. I know I can buy a good name brand unit for $3k, or a mid-range China built one for $1500, but I have an agreement with my spouse that anything over a certain $$ amount needs to be discussed ahead of time and I'm not sure I want to go to bat for a Miller Dynasty 210 just now. With my AMEX points I'm down to about $100 out of pocket for this one.

I have a project for my motorcycle that needs aluminum welding and I have a guy who can do it. But, with all the tools and time I've put in I just kinda want to try and get it done myself.

John
You will need a tank of Argon to A/C weld AL

The Hitbox looks like it might work well, but the membrane buttons/menus might be a pain to use. They save money there instead of multiple knobs. But hey they are getting cheaper all the time so for 300 bucks it's probably for real. I'd like to see what the reviews are like after a while
They don't give you much in the way of accessories- no gas regulator, no footpedal. Probably cheap, short and thin cables. 200 amps is a bit limiting. The AHP unit was/is 225@35% duty cycle
Cheap-o torch you'd want to replace

Last edited:
The AHP alphatig can vary the amps with the foot pedal. I don't know if the Hitbox can do that. The AHP manual is very well written
and I give them points for that. Course it costs more but you get the regulator and a foot pedal. 225 amps. Multiple knobs. Yah baby
The bonus for me is they are right up the peninsula if I needed to get it fixed I could just drive it over

Last edited:
Back