Hitbox AC/DC welder from Amazon - Worth a try?

Should I get one of these on Prime or save up 10x as much before starting to learn TIG?

• Total voters
Interesting, this is something I've got in my 'maybe' amazon.co.uk list. I'd like to hear some informed and knowledgeable opinions on this.

My thought is the cheapest thing that even claims to do this is 3 times more.

And Amazon returns....

If it gets me through the project I have in mind then great. If not I return it and have my buddy do the welds.

John

I bought this unit, to build a lathe stand, and is served well, so far. It's somewhat similar to that Hitbox unit, other than the Hitbox comes with the lift TIG torch, whereas I had to assemble the parts for said separately. I'm no weld machine expert, but either that Hitbox is over priced, at standard price, or I paid too much for the unit I got.

difference is the Hitbox is AC/DC, yours is DC only

I feel you get what you pay for, nothing more. Sometimes less.
Definitely....

But in the scale of things bought for this hobby I've actually ended up getting much more than I've paid for thanks to some very generous sellers and good timing.

There may come a day when a really nice TIG machine pops up on Craigslist for $500. But, my space is small so the nice (large) older machines are pretty much out of the question. I know I can buy a good name brand unit for $3k, or a mid-range China built one for $1500, but I have an agreement with my spouse that anything over a certain $$ amount needs to be discussed ahead of time and I'm not sure I want to go to bat for a Miller Dynasty 210 just now. With my AMEX points I'm down to about $100 out of pocket for this one.

I have a project for my motorcycle that needs aluminum welding and I have a guy who can do it. But, with all the tools and time I've put in I just kinda want to try and get it done myself.

John

Plus, I have a big tank of ultra pure nitrogen just waiting for something to do....

Correction, I have a big empty nitrogen tank :(

But, I do have a small argon tank....

John

Back