Hints and Tips

Oh man you have to see this. A very cool way of making a mandrel to tighten parts on.
So simple, WOW... it's the first 2 minutes of the video .
Only problem is the video is 360p, I can't understand why it's not hd..
Steve's an amazing tool and die maker. His grinding videos have helped me quite a bit.

I was about 14 years old in 92. But according to the internet, he did. The plot thickens though. He was referencing a flash card prepared by a teacher! It was sabotage!! Ha!
Of course it was.
Or, sometimes people make mistakes

Oh man you have to see this. A very cool way of making a mandrel to tighten parts on.
So simple, WOW... it's the first 2 minutes of the video .
Only problem is the video is 360p, I can't understand why it's not hd..
Steve's an amazing tool and die maker. His grinding videos have helped me quite a bit.
50 millionths out. Yeah, that should be good.

um, did you like the split washer to hold the part to the mandrel???
Yeah, that is a pretty clever solution. It's like an expanding mandrel but in two pieces.

Be careful when you do wiring!!!! I had these from some product I bought, I was wondering if they were tinned or copper. The attraction was more than tinned, so I cut it apart and tried filing it. Steel, not copper.
As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, lets be careful out there. I'll be using my old wire nuts, with the bakealite caps.
PXL_20230402_184330336.jpgPXL_20230402_185547831.jpg

edit: Oh boy I just found out the IDEAL (brand) listed here as Buchannan and made in Canada are also steel.
Here's my old bakealite .... COPPER.
PXL_20230402_190406744.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful when you do wiring!!!! I had these from some product I bought, I was wondering if they were tinned or copper. The attraction was more than tinned, so I cut it apart and tried filing it. Steel, not copper.
As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, lets be careful out there. I'll be using my old wire nuts, with the bakealite caps.
View attachment 443365View attachment 443366

edit: Oh boy I just found out the IDEAL (brand) listed here as Buchannan and made in Canada are also steel.
Here's my old bakealite .... COPPER.
View attachment 443367
I think steel wire nuts probably are going to be better than something else. The electrical connection is between the two wires, the nut is just to get 'em in close contact. If the innards were (say) copper they'd strip out easily, at least compared to steel. It takes some force to twist 14-12 gauge wires together. Beryllium-copper would be pretty good but I think that's overkill.

If those "bad" wire nuts are found everywhere, why are they everywhere?

I think steel wire nuts probably are going to be better than something else. The electrical connection is between the two wires, the nut is just to get 'em in close contact. If the innards were (say) copper they'd strip out easily, at least compared to steel. It takes some force to twist 14-12 gauge wires together. Beryllium-copper would be pretty good but I think that's overkill.

If those "bad" wire nuts are found everywhere, why are they everywhere?
Then why aren't they plated with copper to provide a better path? The wire should be the contact point, but the nut still fuses it all together.

Then why aren't they plated with copper to provide a better path? The wire should be the contact point, but the nut still fuses it all together.
Probably because they work well enough without it. "Industry standard" doesn't mean "the best, bar none" -- it means "as good as necessary but no better". For example, gold-plated wires would be fantastic in terms of corrosion resistance but you aren't going to find them in real house wiring. It just wouldn't pencil out.

It's all about cost vs. benefit.

Back