HF Bandfile on sale.. anyone own one?

Jake, I'm a lefty as well. I am going to remove the sanding head, then remove the 4 bolts that attach the motor housing to the head and turn it 180.. that will make it a lefty, I think.

That will move the switch to the opposite side of the tool (which is not a bad thing... It It still leaves you (or at least me...) with the belt on the "wrong side, or else applying the belt in the wrong direction. (Which it does have a platten for... Nice....), however it makes the nose wheel a little dangerous that way. It's not like juggling chain saws or anything, but it'll let you know in no uncertain terms when it makes contact. So I'm banking on leaving the belt off to the left (which is "outside", when it should be "inside", but that's how I've learned to run my pneumatic ones, which are fine that way because they allow me to get my hand all the way around the handle area.

My belief is that I'm gonna be the most comfortable with the tool in my left hand, switch on "top", under my thumb, as designed, and an old grinder handle in the "top" position (in angle grinder speak, which not all angle grinders even have), or "right" position in this sander when it's held in what I presume is the designed position.
That is the same "out of position" position that I use all of my pneumatic air files in, so I'm going with that for now. (band files... I've always heard them called "air files", and I'm sure it's not probably correct, but it's well engrained...).

I'll say this- If flipping the body gets you in a more comfortable place, you should do it. That makes or breaks an angle grinder regardless of what you find comfortable (within reason of course...), as grip and control and stability are what matters. That's one of thoe things that is different for everybody, and I'm quite sure that it'll apply here too. If that makes yours work better, it's an easy thing to do.

I played with it some more. I'd be absolutely blown away if I've got ten minutes on it. I deburred every sharp edge in my scrap bucket. Not sure if it's the belts, the grit, the low speed of the tool, it seems more suited for a lot coarser work and heavier removal than the air versions I have. Whenever I get "real" belts for it, that'll tell the tale, but it puts a ding in my idea of a finishing tool to keep on the bench. Maybe. But it also opens up a lot of other possibilities. I am really seeing a use for it as a "vise mounted mini-belt grinder". Not permenant for sure, but I might do up a bracket tonight to see how that works out... Or maybe another day. I hadda work both days this weekend, and now the gooberment is sending me to bed early. Life is hard. :cool:

That will move the switch to the opposite side of the tool (which is not a bad thing... It It still leaves you (or at least me...) with the belt on the "wrong side, or else applying the belt in the wrong direction. (Which it does have a platten for... Nice....), however it makes the nose wheel a little dangerous that way. It's not like juggling chain saws or anything, but it'll let you know in no uncertain terms when it makes contact. So I'm banking on leaving the belt off to the left (which is "outside", when it should be "inside", but that's how I've learned to run my pneumatic ones, which are fine that way because they allow me to get my hand all the way around the handle area.

My belief is that I'm gonna be the most comfortable with the tool in my left hand, switch on "top", under my thumb, as designed, and an old grinder handle in the "top" position (in angle grinder speak, which not all angle grinders even have), or "right" position in this sander when it's held in what I presume is the designed position.
That is the same "out of position" position that I use all of my pneumatic air files in, so I'm going with that for now. (band files... I've always heard them called "air files", and I'm sure it's not probably correct, but it's well engrained...).

I'll say this- If flipping the body gets you in a more comfortable place, you should do it. That makes or breaks an angle grinder regardless of what you find comfortable (within reason of course...), as grip and control and stability are what matters. That's one of thoe things that is different for everybody, and I'm quite sure that it'll apply here too. If that makes yours work better, it's an easy thing to do.

I played with it some more. I'd be absolutely blown away if I've got ten minutes on it. I deburred every sharp edge in my scrap bucket. Not sure if it's the belts, the grit, the low speed of the tool, it seems more suited for a lot coarser work and heavier removal than the air versions I have. Whenever I get "real" belts for it, that'll tell the tale, but it puts a ding in my idea of a finishing tool to keep on the bench. Maybe. But it also opens up a lot of other possibilities. I am really seeing a use for it as a "vise mounted mini-belt grinder". Not permenant for sure, but I might do up a bracket tonight to see how that works out... Or maybe another day. I hadda work both days this weekend, and now the gooberment is sending me to bed early. Life is hard. :cool:
I already start playing with it, not that great with the belt on the right , since it does push. we'll see. It's not a hard change to go back.
I think the best thing I can do is either drill /tap the head or make a block to mount a handle.

Hoping this ends up being worth buying.

The sale ended a couple days back and I missed it, then noticed this morning new coupons and a "parking lot sale" for it again at 30 bucks.
Had to do it. Drove in and picked up the belts also. I wanted the better quality ones but they only had the lower cost ones.
Anyone else wanting this there may still be time to pick one up at the local HF if they are all having the Sunday sale.

I ordered some bandfiles on Amazon. I wanted to test different grits to know what I wanted for this.
I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CHJT2THC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
well, I thought I would be in the 120 range... but 240 cut impressively fast. The 60 that came with the HF unit is too coarse for metal work, unless maybe taking a weld down, or really cutting a lot of metal.
I only ran one belt so far. And it appeared to be good. If they don't work out, I will use them on the lathe ... that's probably what I'll do with the milwaukee bandfiles that the glue gave up the ghost on.

So after using this to clean up some bed frames , removing the rivets, cleaning up the holes and deburring, I have to say this is way more controllable for angle iron than the angle grinder would be in this situation (inside the 90*). Really appreciating it.

I watched that for a long time, I got mine a few? weeks back. Not a lot of miles on it yet but I've used it on a couple of projects.. NOT AT ALL what I expected based on my experience with air powered models of varying size. Doesn't fit the quick and handy finishing tool niche I wanted it for (although maybe it fits "enough", it does pretty OK as long as it's not close quarters it's kinda got a home right on the bench...), but I find myself using it in place of an angle grinder pretty regular. Mostly in place of the flap discs on the angle grinder. Not sure I'd buy that one at full price (but maybe....), but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again at the 30 bucks.

I've gotta say (and update an older post probably), I wrecked a belt that was my fault, but after more use, the ones with the tool, the pack I bought at HF at the same time for not enough money... Absolutely garbage. 3M Cubitron is my pick (not the only pick, choose your poison) for cubic inches removed per dollar of belt. The 3M is not cheap up front, but the HF belts in this size, when measured in dollars per cubic inch removed- A five pack plus (two? I think it was two) that came with the tool, I've burned those up and have MORE miles on one single 3m belt than all of those combined. And it's still going strong. It matches my previous experience with the smaller versions. The HF stuff "might" have enough value if you wanted to have more selection on hand "right now", for limited use, but if you actually use this much, get good belts.

I’ve been appreciating everybody’s feedback and reviews. HF is not top of the line but it also doesn’t break the bank and this is perfect for my hobby use very often. I don’t bother with anything except corded tools anyway. Having an assortment of cheap belts is how I find out what is going to be most useful and then buy the 3M. I wont be surprised if HF comes out with comparable belts if these get more popular. I use their flap disks now for grinder and they are just fine and much cheaper. Same with their better grade of 4.5” and 3” cutoff disks. And that’s amazing as I’m picky about suicide blades.

Bought one a month or so ago, so far so good and seems to have plenty of power. I've had good luck with their power tools overall, but have avoided their angle grinders in favor of better brands as they get used/abused on a regular basis. Would definitely look for better (ceramic) belts. Mike

I bought some brand to try out. I wanted to make sure I liked it before I spent big bucks on the bands. Especially after finding out that the milwaukee bands I had aged before I even used them. I'll use them on the lathe.

I can think of one improvement, I would like to see one of the platens further out. If I want to flat grind, the roller hits first, but that's a nit pick at this time.

I missed the sale, so I picked this up last week along with a metric butt-ton of chinese belts. I have some profiling to do on a rifle stock, and this tool seems to fit the bill. I do very little in wood, but like y'all I see it may be useful to reach where flap wheels won't. I hope to give it a shot this weekend.
713sUAEAoZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71D2CMDUjFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back