HF Bandfile on sale.. anyone own one?

Considering the number of members here running a HF horizontal bandsaw, I think it is safe to say that statement has been proven inaccurate.

You have to judge every HF tool on its own merits and consider the price and use. Some HF is legitimately junk, but a lot is good enough and some is actually really quite good for the price.

I have a little 2 gallon quiet air compressor from HF to use in the house. I was going to get one from California Air Tools, but the one from HF is actually nicer and $80 cheaper.
All true! I retract my statement!

I have the previous model that was I think a closeout as they were bringing in this model. It’s has been just fine so far as all my other HF motored tools. Probably the new version might be more refined and if the two had been side by side and especially for the same price I would have bought the new version. I put a mount on mine so it could be mounted in a vise. It is kinda thick and clunky for one hand use and works better as a stationary unit. Yeah the belt that came with it is sketchy but I bought some better ones but the old one is still hanging in there. $30, how can you go wrong?

see this for the purchase and video to hear the sound.
My Milwaukee belts are too old, the glue has faile don the joint.
Gotta find a new source. Apparently Milwaukee is not making them anymore.

BTW, the abrasives that come with the HF bandfile sander are 60 grit, two belts.
PXL_20240308_221022577.jpgPXL_20240308_221033977.jpg

Have you heard the advice to avoid HF for anything with a motor? Not sure if that's fair but I've heard it repeated a few times.

I might be the person that a lot of folks heard that advice from... And I just got home with my very own instance the "bandfile" in question...

Mixed messages? No, not really. The advice to stay out of Harbor Freight's rotating electrical things is sound. HOWEVER..... If they've got a toy that you want to play with, the price is low enough to get your moneys worth out of the chuckle you get when it has to be thrown out the window because it's caught fire and the fancy plastics they use are difficult to extinguish..... It's kind of like the money you spend at an amusement park. It's over in a day, and you're never getting anything back except the experience.... At 30 bucks, if this turns out to be a turd, catches fire, or otherwise doesn't work out, I've got my money's worth out of trying it out. If it holds up to my use case (pretty light, easy stuff for a sander that size), that'll be splendid. If not, at 30 bucks, I'm out ten percent of a real tool, or 5 (or less) percent of a high end tool), just for the knowledge of whether or not my idea of a handy tool is really gonna work out for me or not....

I think my Dynafile might be '80s vintage, definitely not newer than '90s. Still going strong and all spare parts are available. Look for one used, because it'll probably work fine and if not, it's rebuildable.

I've got one of those in my collection. I will NOT be buying a new or used one at that price point. That is a solid tool. A very solid tool. Couldn't tell you the model, but it's a relatively small one. Might be the same as my one at home (something from the body shop folks... Quality.) If so it's 3/8 X 13. It's little. I've got three at work, and one at home. All bought used off of one tool truck or another. They're all air. This weekend's special at HF makes it (for me) well worth the gamble on it being a heap. Or maybe it's fine?

Prolly won't be playing with it 'till Monday or Tuesday... Looks like I'm working this weekend, as I guess I'm not smart enough to put it off to late next week by holding back the out of service paperwork until Monday afternoon, on a front line truck that's gonna be long gone by early Monday Morning.... That's allright, we've got enough drivers to do that, they don't need my help. :cool:

I’ve got the big Harbor Freight drill press. Been running it pretty good for 20 years. No motor problems.

I have the previous model that was I think a closeout as they were bringing in this model. It’s has been just fine so far as all my other HF motored tools. Probably the new version might be more refined and if the two had been side by side and especially for the same price I would have bought the new version. I put a mount on mine so it could be mounted in a vise. It is kinda thick and clunky for one hand use and works better as a stationary unit. Yeah the belt that came with it is sketchy but I bought some better ones but the old one is still hanging in there. $30, how can you go wrong?

Yeah, that was my thought as well. I'm not sure what kind of work these are intended for, but it seems kind of bulky for hand held use. Mine is being fitted to a base and basically will be used as a small table top belt grinder. I've got a small Craftsman 1x30" belt / 4" disc sander, but this will only be about 1/3 the size of that when I'm done.

One of the drawbacks to the bandfile is the allen key required for the cover. STUPID.
I like tool less if I can in most areas. So made a knob for a 4 mm x .07 tpm.
Do not understand what is happening with this new knurl, it has striations in the diamonds.. the rest is an old knurl.
the knurl was not on top of the old knurl, it was over a fresh clean cut.
PXL_20240309_022241593.jpgPXL_20240309_022247320.jpgPXL_20240309_030021775.jpgPXL_20240309_030031135.jpgPXL_20240309_030050870.jpg

Back