HF Bandfile on sale.. anyone own one?

woodchucker

Registered
Registered

It's on sale this weekend for $30 .. anyone have one? I have a bunch of Milwaukee bands, so this seems like it would be a good fit if it's any good.

I got one the last time they went on sale (about $30) to make into a mini benchtop belt sander to use at my model desk. Seems worth the $30 to me, I'm not sure what other people use them for and can't compare it to other more expensive brands, because I've never used another brand.

Personally I've been quite happy with the Bauer tools I've got. I don't expect Makita or Milwaukee performance from them at prices I paid (always bought on sale), and so far they have all exceeded my expectations.

Definately not a Dyna File but for $30 , give a shot and report back .

Yea not 550 bucks either

edit: oops, more like $980 new... WTF.. that's ridiculous. That's a huge increase.

Last edited:
Where did you find 30 bucks for that? Member deal or did I miss a something? I want one, but not at almost 60 bucks....

I have ZERO idea if that's any good or not. I have several (expensive) "air files" as we call them, in several belt widths and lengths, the same as that only air driven, and they are exceedingly useful. I like them a lot. I've been waiting on the opportunity to burn my house down with one of those harbor freight turds wanting to see just how much better I'd like one of those on the work bench for quick touch ups without having to hear (or start) the compressor. (For the cost of the battery versions... I'll keep using air....)

I can say this about those little sanders first hand... Don't buy HF belts for them. They'll eat you out of house and home. Good belts last a really, really long time. 3M Cubitron belts are my go to right now, but there are other "good" belts out there. Costs threeish times as much per belt than HF does, but removes (literally, honestly) 10 to 20 times as many cubic inches of material per belt than HF does, depending on how hard you push 'em...

it will be on sale this weekend to regular people... if you are one of their ITC members then it's been on all week.
correction

Last edited:
If it is like other sanders from HF I've purchased , it was good until it hit wood . 10 seconds and dead . I expected no more and was not disappointed . :grin:

it will be on sale this weekend to regular people...

Right there, big as day... I flat out missed it. Cool....

If it is like other sanders from HF I've purchased , it was good until it hit wood . 10 seconds and dead . I expected no more and was not disappointed . :grin:

Like the grinder that's good until it hits metal. Like the pump that's good until it hits water? Like the crowbar that's good until you pull on it? They've got some hidden gems in there, but for the most part, if you're not ready to chuckle about how fast you can wreck it...... You're probably at the wrong store. I figure this will last long enough to tell me what I want when (or if....) I want a real one. If nobody else beats me to it, I'll even give my thoughts on it, but not 'till the weekend because I'm just a regular person. :cool:

Have you heard the advice to avoid HF for anything with a motor? Not sure if that's fair but I've heard it repeated a few times.

I think my Dynafile might be '80s vintage, definitely not newer than '90s. Still going strong and all spare parts are available. Look for one used, because it'll probably work fine and if not, it's rebuildable.

Another point about cheap belts: not only do they not last as long, but they put a ton of dust and grit in the air. Which is maybe just the flipside of not lasting. Klingspor is another brand I've had good luck with, though not lately (I've gotten mostly 3M the last few years). Anyone know, they still good? Norton was noticeably less excellent last time I tried them. Had a friend who was a Norton rep, so he wanted to win me over, but...

Have you heard the advice to avoid HF for anything with a motor? Not sure if that's fair but I've heard it repeated a few times.

Considering the number of members here running a HF horizontal bandsaw, I think it is safe to say that statement has been proven inaccurate.

You have to judge every HF tool on its own merits and consider the price and use. Some HF is legitimately junk, but a lot is good enough and some is actually really quite good for the price.

I have a little 2 gallon quiet air compressor from HF to use in the house. I was going to get one from California Air Tools, but the one from HF is actually nicer and $80 cheaper.

Back