HF Alumiweld rods for joining AL sheet?

"like normal people do" that's a good one. Oh you mean like the people that never create or do anything or learn anything new?
I think there is a distinct shortage of normal people around here

"like normal people do" that's a good one. Oh you mean like the people that never create or do anything or learn anything new?
Yeah! Those ones! They can't be wrong about everything you know. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
I think there is a distinct shortage of normal people around here
Agreed, and that's why I like it here.

Not directly related, but you can see how easy it is welding thin plate with TIG without turning it into taco shells. But the most important point: time = heat. More power = less time = less heating of the part. From experience, ali soldering with a torch flame requires quite a lot of faffing. And usually some swearing.

Now, like all "normal" people round here, you're going to go out and buy a $1000 TIG machine because it's required for this little job, right? We've all been there! :laughing:

Edit: there's a better video about the time = heat thing, but I'm darned if I can find it.

Now, like all "normal" people round here, you're going to go out and buy a $1000 TIG machine because it's required for this little job, right? We've all been there! :laughing:
I already did that :tranquility:! For another project a few years ago. I've probably used my TIG 20-30 times and each time I'm about as good (bad) as the last time. I can do decent TIG work with steel but aluminum kicks my butt. I'll watch your video and a few more, see if I can work myself up for giving it another go.

i believe i have see the tinman do long gas alum welds w no distortion visible

Be interesting to see which vid's you are talking about. I've got his vids on gas welding, brazing, and soldering aluminum. They all go at different speeds welding being the slowest. He and several elite metal workers use gas over tig. Could be that's what they are used to but all you have to do is watch them and the actual amount of heat put into the metal because of speed is way less with gas so is inherently less distortion. If you go at the speed they go at. They also work typically with thickness way less that the OP, like somewhere in the neighborhood of .035 to .040".

I have no idea what alumaweld would be categorized as either braze or solder.

You could tack it in 1" increments along the length with your TIG, It will not look the best when your done i.e. no "laying dimes" but most of us can't do that anyhow.
You are correct about the heat sink. .125 along 72 inches is a LOT of metal. I have tried different "Aluma-stick thingies" before I bought my Lincoln TIG unit and I never was able to make those things to work. I ended up with globs of aluminum looking gum that I could flick off with my finger. LOL.

One of the little tricks that I came across for getting a nice TIG weld is moving the TIG torch 1/3 the length of the puddle before you introduce your filler rod again. You will end up with some nice looking welds utilizing the 1/3-add-1/3-add. It was one of those epiphany moments for me.

Last edited:
You could tack it in 1" increments along the length with your TIG,
That's what I did with the MIG/spoolgun but still distorted. I didn't even go an inch. 1/4" to 1/2" max, then go a 2 feet away and do it again, then take 5 while it cools, and repeat.

Granted That's not the same as TIG where you can control the heat, but still. Frustrating.

It will not look the best when your done i.e. no "laying dimes" but most of us can't do that anyhow.
You are correct about the heat sink. .125 along 72 inches is a LOT of metal. I have tried different "Aluma-stick thingies" before I bought my Lincoln TIG unit and I never was able to make those things to work. I ended up with globs of aluminum looking gum that I could flick off with my finger. LOL.

One of the little tricks that I came across for getting a nice TIG weld is moving the TIG torch 1/3 the length of the puddle before you introduce your filler rod again. You will end up with some nice looking welds utilizing the 1/3-add-1/3-add. It was one of those epiphany moments for me.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Tig is much hotter than mig welding. It does have good control, but I don't know. Maybe research on youtube for people having done this before.

I read again and at 1/8", you probably can do it.
Do a spot at the middle first, then move out maybe a feet, another spot. I would do both length wise sides of the middle (center out).

Then go for 1/2 ft interval. Only spot weld. After that, a very thick steel heat sink the other side may help with 1/2" weld travel.

Last edited:
Back