HF 4x6 band saw

I would like to tell you Harbor Freight replacement parts are available quickly. But I can't simply because I've only ever needed one. The aluminum pulley/flywheel on my first compressor broke after four years, they had me a new in three days. That's the only mechanical thing that has failed on a major piece of equipment. Electrics, switches and capacitors.. those I change out for better, sometimes before they fail.

My thought on the extended warranty is the simple. They push them because they make money. That money comes from us. NEVER bet against the house.

Not adding anything but more reading material. Skip the extended warranty. In fact, I never get the extended warranty unless it's a new for old and I plan on destroying the original purchase in a hurry. Extended warranties are a way for the seller to suck more money out of your wallet. They've done the math based on past experience and price the warranty for more profit. These saws are bulletproof, not a lot that can go wrong in the hands of a hobbyist.

Bruce

I made a few phone calls around town and it seems the best course of action is to wait for a "truck" to show up, have it checked in at the store, and have them hold it then drive over there and snag it. Or, be there right when the truck is unloading.

I was told their inventory system is electronic and automatic. When they sell items that registers back to some warehouse. So if they sell out of an item, or they are very low on higher stocked pieces, the "order" for more is automatic. The clerks do not have access to that system - only what they have "in stock" there. If something is out of stock they can't find the work flow for more coming. That seems weird to me, it would seem someone somewhere there would be able to log in to a computer system that would show what they have coming. Same goes for what time the stock truck shows up. They could tell me the day the trucks were scheduled to be there, but not what times or ranges (not even morning or afternoon).

I was able to get a clerk at a store to hold a saw for me. However, it was going to take 5 hours out of my day and 140-150 miles of driving/burning fuel. So its on to play the "game".

On the up shot to this - now I know how hard they are to get and I, for one, am not in immediate need for it. Now, had I had my steel and aluminum ordered in and the full weekend ahead of me to put the saw together and get to fabricating I'd be really ticked. I still have a few weeks to play the game - I'll cross my fingers I can come up with one and not have to drive across the state or to another state.

I'm still not wanting to order one online and have it sent here. There are things I don't like to get from HF - and this saw is close to that category, but low enough priced I am willing to go for it. I won't take a chance on not being able to open the box and take a look at things/take inventory before walking out of the store with it.

I've always felt the added warranty's are just there to make them much richer, and are basically a sucker bet.You know they wouldn't be doing it unless they were making money, and they probably make more on those warranty's than they do on the tools. Mike

In the good old days , I ordered HF by phone and had it delivered (for cheap) and going strong for 12 or so years.
First things I did is:
Replace the blade with a quality blade.
Drill and tap for a machine screw to lock the door closed.
Make a better table when vertical. Otherwise it is a great little saw. Stops on its own, what's not to like?

Last edited:
I'm with the others. Skip the warranty. I've had my HF band saw for a couple years and it runs just fine. Order it and have it shipped to your home. If there's an issue, take it back to a store.

Strange isn't it? The OP is in Ohio, which used to be the mother lode of manufactured machinery in the US. Now, import equipment rules the day. Does it signal the fall of civilization? No, but it is an odd reversal of supply and demand.
-Mark

Strange isn't it? The OP is in Ohio, which used to be the mother lode of manufactured machinery in the US. Now, import equipment rules the day. Does it signal the fall of civilization? No, but it is an odd reversal of supply and demand.
-Mark
Uh, I disagree after looking at the OP’s CL. The only import is a 18” Grizzly vert. There is a Greenlee looks like 4x6 for $500 and huge Wells looks industrial for $1000. if I was going to be doing a lot of 1/2” big plate I’m pretty sure I’d looking for something like that big ol Wells instead of the 4x6.

I was speaking of new stuff- decades ago you could buy a small machine made here for what the imports sell for now

I just checked and HF does not ship the 4 by 6 horizontal/vertical bandsaw anymore.
my guess is shipping would be pricey due to its weight.
Here is a Grizzly model
284681CA-9167-4F90-8796-E951501726C8.jpeg
Note the $125.00 shipping!
Grizzly used to have affordable shipping.

Last edited:
Back