HF 4x6 band saw

FlyFishn

Registered
Registered
All,

I've been watching stock on the 4x6 band saws here and stores in town keep going through them like hot cakes. I found the store in another town has 2 in stock so I might snag one. I figure if there are more than 1 if the saw has missing parts or parts are broken in the 1 I can swap parts with another unit before I leave. I checked my hydraulic press (20t) when I got it a few years ago for the same reason - everything was there though so I was in good shape. If the store only has one and it is missing/broken parts I'm SOL for a while.

Question - they have 2 warranty options. 1 year for $49.99 and 2 year for $79.99. That is pretty much an "anything goes" warranty. There is also a 90 day warranty it comes with. I did ask if the 1 and 2 year options were beyond the 90 days (so 90 days plus 1 year or 90 days plus 2 years) and the guy said it was, I will have to triple check.

If I was to get an extended warranty I would probably opt for the 2 year. If I set the machine up carefully and keep it in good shape (IE - deburring the worm gear and changing gear oil before using it) I can't see having much go wrong with it. If I was running it hard every day in a fab shop it might be a different story. But for home use I'm thinking it might be OK for a good while which means little trouble.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the warranties? I feel like it might not be worth it or if I get it when I do have a problem it would be so far down the road the warranty period would have expired anyway = SOL.

I did have one of their 6 amp reciprocating saws go bad (trigger variable speed quit, now its full speed or off - may be repairable with a new trigger mechanism but not sourced through HF as they don't have replacement parts = would have to get something close and make it work, but the saw itself still works). That would have worked out to have the extended replacement/warranty plan, but I didn't get it.

What would be suspect on the saw to go bad over time with a lot of use? If the motor went, for example, I could source another motor (not oem, hopefully a better one). But aside from dropping off a cliff and breaking the cast metal parts - it looks like it has replaceable bearings and I'd think any competent machinist/mechanic could patch it back together to keep it keeping on keeping on. Am I missing something?

Personally, I would skip the extra warranty and just go with the 90 days, which is enough time to find and correct any problems. After that you should have a saw that runs for many years. The motors are fairly reliable, not much to go wrong. Set the spring tension such that the saw applies only a few pounds pressure to the work. There are several mods you can do to these machines, including beefing up the notoriously flimsy stand.
You should clean out the worm gear box and put good oil in. If they still use brass/bronze gears the oil should be compatible.
-Mark

Last edited:
I'm with Mark, skip the extended warranty. When I bought my 4x6 a few years ago, I set it up and started cutting. No deburring, no fine tuning, nothing. It's been great. The only problem was my own fault. I cooked the motor cutting a piece of 1x8 0-6 tool steel. I left it cutting and went into the house. It stalled while I was gone.

I'm of the same mind. But I have to say HF's warranty is certainly better than some of the other stuff I've gotten. Pretty much no questions asked. That's why it's important to use it a LOT in that first 90 days. If it's good to go, it's good to go for a long time. Mine is 40yrs and counting.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the saw A LOT in the first 90 days but I will be able to use it a fair amount. I have a project that is going to use some larger steel (A36 probably) plate up to around 5" x 1/2" and some large 4" OD or so x 3/8-1/2" wall square tubing. The plate I will get more than I need. The square tubing parts I might get just what I need. That is odd stuff for me. Thick plate can be pretty useful. I made remote throttle and shift control cable brackets for one of my outboard motors a few years ago from some 3/4" bar, a few drilled holes, and a cut off wheel. It all works spectacularly. Angle, bar, and plate can really come in handy.

You can buy a lot of bearings, oil, replacement switches, and leaded touch-up paint for $79.99. There is not much that can go wrong with these saws. Simple to fix if it breaks. Just square it up and go. I'm very happy with mine for the price.

You can buy a lot of bearings, oil, replacement switches, and leaded touch-up paint for $79.99. There is not much that can go wrong with these saws. Simple to fix if it breaks. Just square it up and go. I'm very happy with mine for the price.
That's the thing I couldn't seem to convey to the Rong Fu rep. It's hard to find an all cast iron frame on any machine for >$300. And their "improvements" were good but hard to justify adding $700 to the cost. A lot of guys never even do miter cuts with their saw. And with their improvement you no longer have the option of using it vertically. I see that as only an emergency option as I used to find the vertical hard to use with the original silly legs. But since I've gone to my present setup it's not silly. But I like my HF all cast iron bargain basement vertical saw way better. I love having both, right tool for the job.

All,

Thanks for the info.

Called ahead to the place and was told they had 2. They were gone when I got there. Waste of fuel and time.

I was about to drive out west, but realized it would be about 5 hours out of my day and the fuel. I can't quite justify that.

Now the game is back on to watching stock locally. I called my usual store and they can not order in for me. I have to order online and ship home. I am not willing to do that because I want to check the box over before I leave the store in case it is missing parts or has any broken/damaged parts. How do you do that when the box is dropped off at your house? I was told if there are parts issues to contact HF's parts line. However, they don't have parts for these machines. Under warranty if there is an issue you have to swap the whole entire kit. So that means if I get one sent here that has an issue I have to juggle sending it back and being resent another one. I don't want to play that game.

So I'll just have to hunt the stores inventory and when there is one snag it. PITA. At least I don't have an immediate need for it - I wasn't going to start a project today. I will in the next month, though.

was told if there are parts issues to contact HF's parts line. However, they don't have parts for these machines.
??? That’s not been my experience. The couple of times I’ve had to get parts they came through. I am not in any way affiliated with them, just have a lot of HF stuff and over the last couple of years they have discontinued some machines only to be taken up by other distributors for way more $$.

You say they don’t have parts for this saw? Do you know that or think that? There can be wildly varying info on forums. I can’t think that HF is discontinued this saw as it seems more popular than ever but stranger things have proven true

Yes that sounds unusually un-customer friendly to me also. Have you asked if they can hold one for you? Maybe pay ahead? Kinda like the old "layaway" program for parents at Christmas time? I would ask the manager, tell him you really want one
I believe we have had members who got the saw shipped and the only issue was a dented capacitor cover or some other minor thing, not a deal breaker.
-Mark
FWIW I paid 40$ for mine as a basket case. '78 vintage Taiwan model. Most of the bearings needed replacing but the motor and gears were fine; the seller let me open the gearbox before we made a deal.
Took a while to fix it up but I found it enjoyable and a bit challenging.
Maybe you want to watch Craigslist for a while? They do pop up from time to time

Last edited:
Back