Help On How To Set Up And Make This Item.

Drawing a blank on how this could accurately be set up and machined.
Spindles need to be perfectly aligned with each other end to end.

OAL aprox 12"
Rectangular Center block is;
Width 3"
Length 2"
Height 1.375
Spindles are at a 2º up tilt from the block.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ken

how about offset turning , wood workers do it. add a disk to each end and change centers

How about a live center with an offset pin that orbits with the live center. Not the equivalent of offsetting the tailstock.
This would not cut a taper but a straight shaft angled with respect to the axis of the stock. I could see a vibration problem from all the rotating off balance mass unless a counter weight was applied to the live center on the other side.
R

Some of this is great thinking I a am sure but am unable to wrap my mind around some of the concepts as I read them.
Concerning the use of centers.
It's going to be very difficult to drive this between centers due the difficulty (as I imagine it) in ensuring a precisely equal relationships between the two shafts. One shaft could be rotated slightly more or less then the other, that won't work.

The more I think on this the more I see the necessity of a rotating fixture to precisely hold the block as the shaft is turned and then the block rotated to do the other end, this concept has been mentioned in way I don't understand as yet.

Putting together all the good ideas posted so far I came up with this while trying to get to sleep:

You too huh ?

I'll be reading that several time to get a better picture of what you are saying.

I think my old age is making me thick headed, seriously, I just can't think like I used too :(

You could make that part on a mill. You would use an angle plate or a cnc type vise mounted on it's side. You would turn the shafts with boring head. That is the same concept as a rotary transfer machine.

Back