Help On How To Set Up And Make This Item.

Ken,

If you set up using your surface block, the offset centers, and the true centers can be accurately established, then regardless of swapping ends, you will be centered for the cut. To begin with, you will have to be able to true your rectangle ends (Top, and one side) by using your dial indicator running off the carriage. The side will be ZERO on both ends, and the top will have so many thousandths less on the spindle side you are not machining. Yes you can set up rectangular stock with a dial indicator and find exact vertical as well as any offset from headstock to tailstock.
You know, I will be machining this piece (in my head) all night now thanks to you guys...thanks a bunch!!!!

Tom,
That is easy to follow, good job.
That is inline with one of my own thoughts early on but abandoned in hopes of a simpler method.
It looks straight forward enough but that block would have to be precisely centered both vertically, horizontally as well as at a proper distance and I about lost my mind in how to do that LOL.

Thanks
Ken

I was looking at the picture of this piece. What struck me is the picture doesn't show a radius at each reduction point. It appears straight cut. So am I missing something or is there a radius machined at each reduction on the spindles? I just finished machining a set of C-clip axles to accept a pressed on bearing pack assembly and even though it is just car axles it still called for a radius cut to keep the machined reduction to flange site strong. I was taught that at any juncture of a different machined diameter that was load bearing, one should machine a radius for strength as to a sharp intersection that would prompt a fracture point. Just remember, I am an old newbie, and I am just shooting my thoughts off. Maybe my mouth too.

You've got a good eye and are absolutely correct.
One of the major reasons for the new version is the lack of sufficient radius at the root of each step and for the very reason you mention as well as larger diameter to handle a higher gross weight.
If you look at the actual part in post #85 you will see the difference between the original (background) and new version.

The first pic in post #1 was simply a example model draft to illustrate what was being discussed and not the actual component.

Ken, I really do appreciate your time in explaining what I should have known. As I took another look at post #85 I do see the
"new and improved version", something I should have figured out without all the dialogue. Thanks for your patience.

I finally got the drafting department off top dead center, here's a sketch, with necessary dimensions. Mount this on a face plate, with a cavity for the left hand leg. Run it up against the shoulder, put four bolts in the already there holes and have a go at it. when done with one end, turn it 180 and do it again.

1 a block.jpg

Drawing a blank on how this could accurately be set up and machined.
Spindles need to be perfectly aligned with each other end to end.

OAL aprox 12"
Rectangular Center block is;
Width 3"
Length 2"
Height 1.375
Spindles are at a 2º up tilt from the block.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ken

Kudos to the drafting department :)

Thank you Tom

Ken
Hi Ken:
Are you satisfied you have a solution yet? I have a suggestion.
Start with the rectangular stock longer than you need for the finished part.
Using a surface plate for layout, Mark the ends with a line indicating the center of the shafts as seen from the top.
Calculate the height of the centers of the shafts. (because your material is longer than the finished product, the centers will also be higher.
Calculate the height of the 2 deg line projected from the center just scribed to the other end. Scribe both ends.
Center drill all four marked ends.
Mount between centers using an improvised dog drive, and machine one end, stepped, threaded and finished, but leaving the material beyond the required length in place because it holds the other center.
Then reverse and machine the other end.
Cut off the excess with their centers, and finish up.

What do you think?

Back