Help me visualize where to remove material to flatten?

You're assuming I have a kitchen countertop cutoff or know where to get one. :D
No assumption here. I figured if you had one you would have already checked it. And like you I also have Formica that only looks like granite. I did that on purpose. I don’t see how anybody who’s been around a granite surface plate and see how easy it is to scratch would have countertops done with granite. It’s better than cast iron though because you can scratch it and it doesn’t raise burrs.

I don’t mean to come off as a know it all or argumentative or like I have the best stuff. I don’t. I have that cheapo no rating 12x9 and a 19x24 I lucked into as a machine shop closed that I picked up with stand for $65. It had even been certified right before (lost the cert card, doh!) but it’s a no name plate too. I get we all have different needs and expectation. I was only trying to relay my experience.

No assumption here. I figured if you had one you would have already checked it. And like you I also have Formica that only looks like granite. I did that on purpose. I don’t see how anybody who’s been around a granite surface plate and see how easy it is to scratch would have countertops done with granite. It’s better than cast iron though because you can scratch it and it doesn’t raise burrs.

I don’t mean to come off as a know it all or argumentative or like I have the best stuff. I don’t. I have that cheapo no rating 12x9 and a 19x24 I lucked into as a machine shop closed that I picked up with stand for $65. It had even been certified right before (lost the cert card, doh!) but it’s a no name plate too. I get we all have different needs and expectation. I was only trying to relay my experience.
Nah it's all good. ;)

That was a nice bit of luck with the 19x24. I'd like a little of that so I can get a Colchester or a Boxford to replace my little 7x14 for cheap (some widow who doesn't know what it'sworth maybe?) :D

Oh and I'll have you know that Dasqua swear blind my surface plate is a grade '00'.

I'm sure the quotes are just an accidental typo, yeah? :D

Back