Help me spend some money please

okay guys i want to make some 3"x3" V-blocks ranging in length. Please forgive my ignorance as I'm learning as I go and don't want to waste any money on the wrong tooling. From the research I've done looks like HSS silting saw is the best way to go about this. I'm thinking 4" x 1/8"? so I'm looking at the good ol grizzly catalog. the arbor I'm seeing is a step up 1/2-1" seems like it could be pretty versatile being able handle a range of saws but From what I'm seeing most saws have a 1" arbor. would it be better to just get a 1" arbor?
You are approaching it all wrong. Slitting saws are not the solution to making deep cuts like you are contemplating. Cut your block to size, set it up to 45 degrees in a jig and mill your v using an end mill. Flip it on the other side and mill the second side of the v. Use a slitting saw to make your relief cut at the bottom of the v. Then figure a way to harden your block. Finally, surface grind it to final size.
Andrei

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

You are approaching it all wrong. Slitting saws are not the solution to making deep cuts like you are contemplating. Cut your block to size, set it up to 45 degrees in a jig and mill your v using an end mill. Flip it on the other side and mill the second side of the v. Use a slitting saw to make your relief cut at the bottom of the v. Then figure a way to harden your block. Finally, surface grind it to final size.
Andrei

That is the way I would do it!

I say buy the slitting saws. Never pass up an opportunity to buy new tools. Then use the endmills to cut the V blocks. or buy cheap V blocks on eBay.

I always like spending someone else's money.

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!!! I will more than likely pick up a set of V bocks to use as a jig to mill the V in the couple of fixtures I'm needing to build a Remington 700 action jig and a bolt jig. Main purpose is to just get some build time on my machine.

Yes. You cannot buy the metal for that price...
The price of steel is about 10 cent per pound. This is if you buy lots of tons, straight from the mill. In China, the price is about 50 cents per pound for small scale manufacturers. What we pay here at retail is terribly expensive, by comparison.

Back