Help ID a hydraulic press?

Thank you for all of the seal supplier suggestions! I will go through this thread and try every one of them until I find a seal. I appreciate everyone's help very much. :grin:

Curt
GG

That should not be a difficult seal to find. People who buy or sell hydraulic components have quite a few thick books with lots of different types of hydraulic seals, first by type, then by size. I think it is better for you to walk in the door with your parts and information than to call on the phone. Put them on the spot.

A guy who works for Motion Industries, and repairs and builds lots of hydraulic cylinders for them in Pensacola, FL. is Adam Booth, Abom79 on YouTube. Adam knows that work well. If nothing else, PM him and ask for help. Sorry, I am several years retired and away from intensive hydraulic work for 29 years...

I just started working on the same problem on a very similar press. I think what you are looking for is a metric U seal. 100mmx 80mm x 12mm

Some members suggested that and it seems to be exactly the right part. U seals are very typical for hydraulic jacks. they seal equally on the ID and OD and the oil pressure increases the seal pressure.

the part was 10.00 with shipping.

https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrder...352015&itemid=252783299453&qu=1&ul_noapp=true

http://www.ebay.com/usr/adrian22305

Be certain you have removed all of the goop from the old seal and that everything is very clean before reassembling.

I just started working on the same problem on a very similar press. I think what you are looking for is a metric U seal. 100mmx 80mm x 12mm

Some members suggested that and it seems to be exactly the right part. U seals are very typical for hydraulic jacks. they seal equally on the ID and OD and the oil pressure increases the seal pressure.

the part was 10.00 with shipping.

https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrder...352015&itemid=252783299453&qu=1&ul_noapp=true

http://www.ebay.com/usr/adrian22305

Be certain you have removed all of the goop from the old seal and that everything is very clean before reassembling.

Thank you for the tip! I converted my imperial measurements to metric, and they are close. Mine would be 101mm x 85mm x 10mm. I will contact the seller and see if he has a seal that size. :grin:

GG

I once rebuilt a small hydraulic jack on an old boat trailer. It needed new seals also. But I was lucky. we have a small company in Newington that makes seals. I took them down there and they matched them up to ones they had in stock.
Sometimes it's worth it to check local companies as some are always willing to help.

Sometimes it's worth it to check local companies as some are always willing to help.

That was my first thought, too. I checked with the local hydraulic company, and they wanted $500 for a custom made seal. That tells me they don't want the job unless I'm rich and stupid.

Most local shops are more helpful than this, but not always.

Thanks!

GG

Some advice for all:
I was a parts guy for 36 years. For about 10 of those years I worked every day with hydraulics (maintaining dozers, scrapers, motorgraders, dump trucks, bucket trucks, about 150 garbage trucks, and much, much, more for a government shop. After that I worked in private business doing parts for medium and heavy trucks, and also working on some of their various mounted equipment. If you want to have a wonderful transaction with a parts guy, make his job easier. Know exactly what you are working on and provide all the information off the data plate(s). Bring in samples if appropriate, they can be useful in figuring out what you really need. Bring in stuff that is cleaned up, not a messy drip pan full of oil and solvent soaked rags. Do not argue, provide whatever information you can and then listen carefully.

The parts guy (or gal) is trying to help you and make a sale for his company, and there are several people standing behind you in line and more waiting on the phone. He has the ability to blow you off and help the next person in line. That will not help your cause or your needs. I will say that I never blew people off that I thought I could reasonably help, and took their projects on with a simple "Who's next?" attitude. Some of my colleagues were not so kind, and bragged about it...

Q: What is the difference between a parts man and a proctologist?
A: A proctologist only deals with one at a time... 8^)

I was going to suggest looking on the grizzly site . If they sell a press like it , there's usually a breakdown and parts list with there items. I hunted hi and low for a enco pdf for my mill . Checked there copy and got everything I needed . Not sure if they sell presses, but YA have to think out of the box at times.

If you want to have a wonderful transaction with a parts guy, make his job easier. Know exactly what you are working on and provide all the information off the data plate(s). Bring in samples if appropriate, they can be useful in figuring out what you really need. Bring in stuff that is cleaned up, not a messy drip pan full of oil and solvent soaked rags. Do not argue, provide whatever information you can and then listen carefully.

I agree, and I would certainly love to do just that. The only problem is: there is no manufacturer plate, no model number, and no original seal to compare. They are all missing. Someone else took it apart to try to fix it, and never returned again. I've been assigned the task of trying to get it working again, with no information except the measurements I made. I even know someone else that has the same press, and there is no name plate or model number on that unit either. I don't know why.

I took the disassembled parts to the local hydraulic shop, and they wanted $500 for a new custom made seal. A little out of line. I'm in the process of tracking down a seal by dimensions. It's time consuming, and no one who sells seals is interested in helping because that would be too much like work.

Given the facts, what do you suggest?

GG

I agree, and I would certainly love to do just that. The only problem is: there is no manufacturer plate, no model number, and no original seal to compare. They are all missing. Someone else took it apart to try to fix it, and never returned again. I've been assigned the task of trying to get it working again, with no information except the measurements I made. I even know someone else that has the same press, and there is no name plate or model number on that unit either. I don't know why.

I took the disassembled parts to the local hydraulic shop, and they wanted $500 for a new custom made seal. A little out of line. I'm in the process of tracking down a seal by dimensions. It's time consuming, and no one who sells seals is interested in helping because that would be too much like work.

Given the facts, what do you suggest?

GG
All you can do in your situation is take the parts you have along and show them to people who sell hydraulic parts. I have never looked for hydraulic parts online using a web search, but it might be worth a try.

Back