Help ID a hydraulic press?

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
At work we have a hydraulic H frame press that needs a new seal in the cylinder. There is no brand name or model number anywhere on the press, so we don't know where to start. We even know someone else that has the same press, and theirs doesn't have any markings either.

In the photo, we have a wood table top sitting on the rails, and the piston is out. It is a hand pump unit with the reservoir and pump on the right side rail.

It seems to be a well made press, and all it needs is a seal to be as good as new. We sent a photo to Dake in Michigan, and no one there recognized it. Does anyone here recognize it?

Thanks!

GG

20170209_152856.jpg

With no ID on it and that color paint job, reminds me of Import stuff. But, it shouldn’t be too hard to take some measurements and find what you need. Especially with the wealth of info on the net nowadays. And your garage/work looks more organized than mine (I’m serious!!!)…Dave.

Last edited:
With no ID on it and that color paint job, reminds me of Import stuff. But, it shouldn’t be too hard to take some measurements and find what you need. Especially with the wealth of info on the net nowadays…Dave.

I have the measurements, but no one will even give it a try without a manufacturer name and model number. I called Florida Seal and Rubber. They said it didn't meet their minimum order requirements, and sent me to another place (can't remember the name now). They said they had no way to look it up without a manufacturer. They didn't even want the measurements. I called McMaster Carr, and they sent me to Dake. I called Dake, and they said it's not theirs, and they don't know what it is. I wasted half a day of shop time today and ended up with nothing.

It's a 4.00" ID cylinder, and a 3.988" OD piston. The seal width is .400". I forget what the depth of the seal groove is, but I have it written down at the shop. It doesn't seem like the numbers are bizarre or unusual, or even metric.

My last effort to identify it is here. If we don't figure out what it is and find a seal, it will be probably be scrapped for lack of a $25 seal, and replaced with a Harbor Freight 20 ton press. That's a shame.

GG

We tried that. The local hydraulic shop wanted $500 for a custom made seal. The boss said "no way".

GG

They didn't want to mess with it. I guess if the boss wants to scrap it, then maybe you can just drag it home;)

I'll bet I could find parts for it, or modify it to fit a seal I could get easily. But that would be after I got it home.:grin:

They didn't want to mess with it. I guess if the boss wants to scrap it, then maybe you can just drag it home;)

I'll bet I could find parts for it, or modify it to fit a seal I could get easily.

I wish I could take it home, but that won't happen. I would modify it and put in a different cylinder altogether. :grin: The boss doesn't want to spend that much time on it. Time is money, you know...

Last summer I bought spindle bearings for a 50 year old drill press, and it was no big deal. I'm surprised that the hydraulic world isn't the same.

The O Ring Store that Rich (CluelessNewB) suggested looks promising. A quick search through their web site and I found some seals that look like they could be close. I will call them and see what we can find.

Thanks!

GG

Back