[Newbie] Help Getting An Estimate Of Tooling Value?

jwest7788

Registered
Registered
Hey All,

See my local classifieds:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hand-tool/calgary/machine-shop-tools-and-tooling/1072329324

I spotted this ad a couple of weeks ago, and have been watching it since.

I reached out to the gentleman today, but after doing so, realized that I am way out of my area of expertise trying to figure out what all this is valued at.

How do you value used tooling? Angle plates? etc. etc.

I reached out and now realize I'm not really sure which direction to go. Should I just go meet the seller and hope for the best? --> Seems my lack of knowledge is likely to get myself hosed.

With the obvious caveat that you're restricted to three pictures, can't look up close or confirm the actual contents, what do you think a reasonable offer is?

Thanks!

P.s. I'm just having faith that I happen to be the only user in driving distance to this seller. Hopefully there aren't any locals looking for tooling like I am, in the forum, haha. (Realistically, this thread's learnings would be worth loosing the buy anyways)

Take a look at what eBay sellers are asking then go in half for most items. . If you look in the advance search it shows what they sold for . Bundle things and ask for better price .

What is he asking for all of that? I see some jacks, a Starrett? vise and a bunch of tool bits and misc items. The bits may come in handy if they fit your machine but do you need the rest of this stuff?

If it has been a couple of weeks on CL and this is still there then the seller might be willing to take a reasonable offer. Personally, I might offer him $75-100 on it and walk if he says no.

I agree with mikey, If it has been there for a few weeks, either there is no machinist in the area, or he is asking to much and may finally take an offer, I see carbide, HSS, then the one drawer has the vblocks, a couple of dies, drill bits, Tap holder, and various other stuff, but what can you use, WHat size tools does your system take, If they will not work for yours, then it is not a good deal, But no harm in looking.

Personally, I might offer him $75-100 on it and walk if he says no.

That sound about right to me, too. Nice to see the original clamp with the v-blocks.....

-brino

The guys are telling you right. For the seller it would cost him more to ship than the parts are worth. Therefore, you (a local buyer) have the advantage.

I'd offer him $75, let him reply with $125 and then meet in the middle. If he says $500, then walk away and call him back in 3 weeks.

When you get home you sort out what you can reasonably use. Then pile like-sized cutting bits into 5-10 piece "lots" and sell it on Ebay for (starting) $20 per lot. You should be able to sell the over-size and under-size bits for enough to recoup your initial outlay, and be able to keep the pieces that you can really use for your efforts.

If you'll look at Ebay for cutting bits, the hottest selling items are the "lot" groups of cutting bits. Especially note in the ad if the bits are marked USA and people will go crazy.

All these statements assume that Canadian post has something akin to the USPS "Priority Box" that is a fixed rate shipping no matter the weight. Good luck.

Buying used is always tricky as sometimes people value the items based on some sentimental fantasy of grandad using the stuff in a bygone era. I always offer a reasonable price on the low side, and if it's an item I don't really need at all, I'll totally lowball. That way if I get it I am satisfied with what I paid, if I don't I can shrug it off and be happy as it was not really anything I needed.

The best advice I can give is to talk to people and get a feel for where the items came from and what they mean to the seller. Sometimes people just need to free up space and will be happy to sell a heck of a lot for very little. You can also ask if they have any other similar items they need to get rid of. I have purchased some excellent items from people who didn't even think to advertise them. This is how I purchased my first mill and my cabinets.

Paul.

Thanks guys!

This seller is basically saying, come in person and we can negotiate. I made an offer of $80 for the lot hoping to get a dialogue about lot pricing started, but he basically just said "Come in person and we can decide what $80 is worth"

I don't feel I have the expertise to try to bargain in person over individual bits of tooling etc. Did my best to explain, and finished with, I'll stand by for now, but let me know if you come around to a lot price.

Will update down the road if he gets back to me.

JW

If that is all there is I'd probably not give over $20 or $25 myself. Of course if you look at that carbide tooling & it looks like new I'd probably go a little higher but he may actually have more then you see there.

Yeah, I'm going to meet him tonight. I get the impression he has lots more, just not pictured.

Time will tell!

Back