HELP? G4003G

Per the chart it is 45 at position F; 60 at position G; 91 engages the 45; 86 engages the 60 and the box is at A6.
Who's chart?

My spread sheet yields 8.465... TPI with those settings. ???
Putting the exchange gear in has only a small effect as the ratio of 91/86 is near 1. The norton at position A-1 yields the smallest TPI value. With 40 40 and A-1 the table says 4 TPI. The ratio of 40/40=1 as shown below. So you need to make these two gears (G and F) have a ratio of 3/4 to get down to 3TPI. A ratio of 3/4. to get to the 3TPI. .......

OH! @keeena just posted that you are trying to get to 3.00 Pitch not 3TPI. Your original posting said 3TPI! No wonder we are not getting the job done. I totally miss understood. Sorry! Anyway, the spread sheet has been created and posted. It should show you what you can do in metric as well as Imperial.

I just searched on the 3.00? pitch. You have more than one option and do not need the 45. See below.

1699323192426.png1699323820634.png

@TakeDeadAim - I have the 45 tooth gear if you want to borrow it; would just need to pay shipping round-trip.

You are looking to make a 3.0 pitch, not 3TPI, right?
Yes metric 3.0 the gear is a 45t, 10mm wide, 16mm bore with 5mm key. Flat on both sides with no collar or hub on either side. Going in a Grizzly G4003G lathe to cut a 3.0 metric thread. I'd be more than happy to pay shipping both ways if you have that gear. contact me at my user name at gmail.com

@TakeDeadAim - yep, this is what I have (I do have a G4003G). Please DM me (update: I just noticed that you provided your email address; I'll email you) and we'll get info sorted out. If you want me to run a quick test to prove the setup (45T-91T/86T-60T), I don't mind.

MetricGears.jpg

Last edited:
OH! @keeena just posted that you are trying to get to 3.00 Pitch not 3TPI. Your original posting said 3TPI! No wonder we are not getting the job done. I totally miss understood. Sorry! Anyway, the spread sheet has been created and posted. It should show you what you can do in metric as well as Imperial.

I just searched on the 3.00? pitch. You have more than one option and do not need the 45. See below.
Haha! Yeah, slight head scratcher on the first post when he mixed metric diameter and imperial thread naming. I can see why that would lead to confusion.

Interesting to see that a 35T-91T/86T-40T or 50T-91T/86T-40T should technically have the same result. I'm tempted to test it...

@keeena I was just writing the below message when yours came in. Please do test it out. I found it interesting that there was even a setting row (7) where you did not have to use the exchange gear. A-5 40T(gear box) 26T(spindle) and one gets almost the same results. 3.00182 pitch.

Good night.

Dave L.
Edit: Corrected lathe sheet G4003G and so changed the file and its name to: TPI_ManyLathesRev1 NB06_2023

--------------------

@keeena @TakeDeadAim

If you look at the table I posted above at you will see that you do not need the 45T to get the 3mm/T (3 pitch). There are other options.

A-8, 40T(gear box)-86T\91T-35Tspindle) yields the same results , 3.00055 mm/T pitch. (91T in contact with the 35T)
or
B-4, 40T(gear box)-86T\91T-50T(spindle) yields the same results , 3.00055 mm/T pitch. (91T in contact with the 50T)
or
.... There are other options in the table as well.

One cannot get an exact 3.00 pitch, even with the 45T gear.

@keeena You can run these tests if you like to compare. But one cannot measure the difference between 3.00 exact and 3.00055mm/T. After all 0.0005mm very small, 1/2 a micron! This is why the manufacturers consider this to be accurate in their tables.

But it means nothing to me if you guys want to be shipping your gears around. I was just trying to help out. Yes, I should have picked up on the fact that you were talking about pitch and not TPI, but that first posting through me off and I was focused on making sure the spread sheet for the G4003G worked correctly.

If you down load it and run it with the macros you will have a listing/table of all 1620 thread values you can make. The workbook then lets you sort and search this listing to generate a list of the possible ways to make most standard threads. There are even features(macro) to hide the unused columns and of course to do searches. I went to all of the trouble to automate this for my lathe and then decided to extended it for other lathes just to help folks out on HM.

Dave L.

I am about to take a scratch pass on my part with 35 >91/86 >40 at the gearbox in A/8. Can you post a link to the file you made I have Excel and I can close any columns I don't need so I can expand the names and make it a bit easier to access.

It worked, the tool I could get does not have that much radius at the root but it does cut it at the top. I appreciate your help, Sorry I was not clearer in my initial post. I was rather upset after my call from the company that the second gear they had in stock was also not the correct pitch.

When you get the chance I would appreciate a copy of that file. I will laminate it and keep it around as it turns out all future parts will be this thread

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1
Hi @TakeDeadAim

Glad to hear that it is working for you. You should have gotten a link to it as I included your user name in the posting. Oh Well.
I had posted the entire workbook at the following link. (As well I will generate just a simple spread sheet containing all of the Thread and feed table for you in a separate posting.) It would be useful if you could check out the X-feed values sometime. I find that the manufacturer's plate info for X-feed commonly has errors or inaccuracies. I had not real way to check this out for your lathe, but I suspect that the spread sheet does it correctly.
Edit: Corrected lathe sheet G4003G and so changed the file and its name to: TPI_ManyLathesRev1 NB06_2023
I got more info about the gears available in the the G4003G

The fundamental worksheet format and Macros have not changed, but
I added a couple of lathe sheets to the TPI generating Excel workbook. So I thought I would just post the current workbook.
It now has lathe sheets for the following lathes, but many other lathe models are similar or the same...just by different names.

NB06: Currently Available, LatheModel TPI sheets:
PM1440GT
PM1440HD - ( @Larry$ @verbotenwhisky )
PM1340GT_PM1236T
PM1236-1236M
JET-BD1340
Atlas618
MMLB-Norton - ((MetalMax) @Provincial )
MM1340LB-Lever - (MetalMax)
PM1228VF-LB - ( @LROYSON , @Aurelius )
G4003G=?=G4003 - (waiting feedback from @TakeDeadAim)
PM1130V - (TBD: @JPMachine to review. Remove some gears before running the GenAllTPI_14V2 macro)

You will find more instructions and what not at the top of this thread. Just down load the file with the zipped file, TPI_ManyLathesRev1 NB06_2023 Zipped.zip, and unzip it. Look over the uwReadMe tab If you have never enabled macros before you will need to do so. Then to access them click on the Developers Menu item. Then at the left you should see a menu item called macros. Click on this and a window will open with all of the possible macros I have written to make this workbook more useful. Before you run any of the macros look to see if there is not a tab called AllTPI. Insert a new tab which will be called sheet1 and then change this tab name to uwAllTPIG4003G. Then Highlite and copy the entire sheet of tab AllTPI by first clicking on the position just at the top -left corner of the sheet. Then Paste this into the first cell of sheet tab uwAllTPIG4003G that you just created. By adding the uw to the front of the tab it will not be erased when you run other macros. Should you ever need to regenerate the AllTPI (say you added another gear or something) you can run the macro called GenAllTPI_14V2 and it will make the sheet anew.

Now you can work with the AllTPI sheet without fear of loosing the data that I already ran just for the G4003G before I posted the Zip file. You will find in this tab (sheet) a list of all of the threads that you can make with your lathe (including the 45T gear). There is about 1620 of them plus there are some duplicates which were not listed. You can now run a macro called HideAuto and the columns in this sheet which do not pertain to the G4003G will be hidden. There is another macro called UnHide. There are other macros for row order sorting as well as for searching for TPI, Pitch, or any other column title. All of this is somewhat explained in the ReadMe tab.

Also, you will find that there is a macro that generates a search and listing for all of the common standard threads.

Last edited:
@TakeDeadAim

Attached is the workbook without any macros. So it does not have to be unzipped. I already ran the macros to generate your, G4003G, total thread list and sorted the list by increasing TPI values. See the sheet-Tab AllTPI. I also provided a list of the common standard threads and some approximations to them. See the sheet-tab named SrchdTPI (Searched TPI List). You can print either or both of these as you please. There is also a sheet-tab called uwSrchList which in column A shows the TPI and Pitch values that I used as the common values. To the right of this column shows how many of each were found and then show up in the sheet named SrchdTPI (Searched TPI List). Lastly, you will find your lathe spread sheet TPI generator at sheet-tab uwG4003G.

I hope that you will go a head and down load the macro enabled version that I linked to above. You should find it useful when you need to search for a particular value or want to change things.... or buy another lathe.

Attachments

• TPI_ManyLathesRev1 G4003G NB06_2023.xlsx
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Back