HELP? G4003G

TakeDeadAim

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have had my G4003G since 2010 and it has had its issues. Currently, I have a job in the chuck that requires a Metric 27mm 3TPI thread. Being an idiot and thinking that because the correct number of gears were in the bag of change gears I assumed they would be the correct gears. Never assume! this thread requires the 45t gear which was not in the sealed bag I received with the lathe. I contacted them and they did not agree they owed me the gear so I paid for one $32 and the $18 shipping plus tax of course. Only when it arrived it is not the right gear. They had another it too is not the correct pitch, ID or form gear. Correct part number but wrong gear. They are allegedly going to find one for me but supply no time frame. I'm not holding my breath!

I would pay shipping, and provide a deposit to anyone who could loan me a gear to complete this job. I am afraid to remove the part from the lathe as the thread needs to be concentric to the first 6" of a small bore that goes through a 28" long 1.2" Dia. piece of 400 series stainless. The opposite end of the piece is held in a spider that acts like a second chuck at the left end of the spindle which lines the axis of the bore with the axis of the lathe. The stock is expensive ($330) due to an ID feature that runs the length of the bore.

By the way, if you have one of these lathes and have never attempted to use the follower rest I would be interested to know if it would support stock larger than 3/4", maybe an inch.

Attachments

• Change Gears.jpg
    Change Gears.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 24
Agreed, never assume. Always check you have the complete gearset early on
Who is supplying the gears? Previous owner? Or Grizzly?

Last edited:
I purchased it new. I’ve cut a lot of SAE Threads and non spec threads but no metric. I did this same part before and it had an SAE thread. This time I noted the much lower TPI count, found it to be 3mm but knew my lathe was supposed to cut to 4.5. I’d not opened the change gears as they were covered in preservative.

I purchased it new. I’ve cut a lot of SAE Threads and non spec threads but no metric. I did this same part before and it had an SAE thread. This time I noted the much lower TPI count, found it to be 3mm but knew my lathe was supposed to cut to 4.5. I’d not opened the change gears as they were covered in preservative.
Have you checked Little Machine Shop? They have some of those parts.

TakeDeadAim, I have a Grizzly 4000 and I have a 45 tooth gear in my set and I also live in Slinger Wi but don't know how to contact you directly but if it is what you need you would be welcome to use it if still needed and I,m 2 miles out of Hartford

TakeDeadAim, I have a Grizzly 4000 and I have a 45 tooth gear in my set and I also live in Slinger Wi but don't know how to contact you directly but if it is what you need you would be welcome to use it if still needed and I,m 2 miles out of Hartford
I'm not sure the 4000 is the same but It would be easy to see if it would fit, it's a flat gear, with no hub or collar. The bore is .630 (16mm) with a .200" (5mm) key and 10mm thick
Email is my username name at Gmail.com I'm south of Hartford about 4 miles

I found a manual for a 4000, the part looks the same, I would have to see if the pitch is the same and the bore and such match

So, I just checked and the gear I have is 14mm bore, 5mm key and 7.91 thick so guess this is just a bit off. I'm not sure what the pitch would be but looks like it's a wash out with the other measurements anyway. Sorry I couldn't help I thought it might being the same family lathe.

I appreciate your checking for me.. if you need anything let me know

Back