Hello, My name is Richard and I am a toolaholic

Eyerelief

Registered
Registered
After doing a little dumpster diving last week at a shop that just finished selling off what they could, I found these, the three Amigos. They were rusted, froze up and neglected, but not necessarily beat up. I figured that the guys that owned these before me made a living with them and if they were not accurate, they would have likely disappeared or been repurposed a long time before now. The Hardinge H4 and the spindexer had a modified handle attached at the back which I didn't put back in (but did throw in a drawer just in case) thinking that it likely was installed due to a repetitive operation or production type setup. The horizontal / vertical holder has a crack on one tab. Sadly, there was no oil or debris in the crack so it may have cracked when it was thrown out. The casting on this piece was certainly the hardest of the three, cleaned up quick and my wire brush didn't leave any marks or brighten the finish.
Now all three are tight, spin true and have no end play. The pins slide in nicely but are snug when seated. Painted them metallic brown because that is what was in the cabinet. My cost was only a weekend for fixtures that I didn't even know I needed.
I need to get a life..................

Attachments

• 5c1.jpg
    5c1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • 5c.jpg
    5c.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
C-Bag
It sure seems like a desert whenever I am looking for something. Cant find anything within 800 miles. You know how hard it is to sneak out of the house to buy a surface grinder 800 miles away?

Silence
I hear you. I may need the advanced course since for the first step, I have 3 lathes, second step, 2 mills. Really do need all the support I can get, keep them cards and letters coming, I feel like I'm in this all alone (My wife assures me that I am working in that direction at least).

It sure seems like a desert whenever I am looking for something. Cant find anything within 800 miles. You know how hard it is to sneak out of the house to buy a surface grinder 800 miles away?
That seems to be the “law” wherever you live. In my case it means my want its put on the long range radar and I go into virtual vulture mode. Some things take decades like a universal vise or a Beverly throatless shear. And when something comes up in LA or SF even though it’s a couple hundred miles away it might as well be on the moon because of the logistics and the traffic. But so far patience as paid off along with vigilance.

Good luck fellow sufferer of TAS(tool acquisition syndrome).

Silence
I hear you. I may need the advanced course since for the first step, I have 3 lathes, second step, 2 mills. Really do need all the support I can get, keep them cards and letters coming, I feel like I'm in this all alone (My wife assures me that I am working in that direction at least).
On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me,
A collet in a collet tree.
On the second day of Christmas my true love gave to me,
2 mills a spinning, and a collet in a collet tree.
. . .

Back