Height Adjustable Stand

And , more burrs to deburr . :grin: I would just drill it separate without the " template ". You could spot drill it just above 1/2" so you wouldn't be raising those outside burrs also .
This is the only way that I can assure myself that the holes will match up perfectly!

Why wouldn’t you insert the inner tube prior to drilling the holes. There would have been no burrs on the outer tube, holes would align perfectly, and it would have been one shot. It’s looks like you had them tacked in you first pic?
I drilled one hole like that, and the drilled hole sort of fused the tubes together.

I imagined that with all that fusion, I would never have gotten them apart.

Last edited:
You don't trust your DRO ?
I sure do!

OK, you busted me. I will show a picture of the holes on the *other* side LOL.

I was only showing you guys the good side.

image.jpg

As you can see, this side has issues.

Boy, the tubes were really stuck together after using the template on both sides! I put the assembly in a bench vise & hammered out the inner one with different sizes of round bar.

Now I am making the exterior as beautiful as possible.

6DF5B783-20FA-4B66-9C65-3894E54E5C8D.jpeg

18A74233-A3EA-4970-85E8-E8E38D021CCD.jpeg

Wonder why the surface being turned looks like it has stripes? Those are the holes spinning around.

Last edited:
I see an extra witness mark there on the right side ! :p The stripes are because you have the holes and interupted cut . It tears a bit .

The inner and outer tubes are ready for paint.

BE17A05B-176A-4DB3-BEC8-CED01B55ABE2.png

I still need to make the homemade piece of channel that goes on the very top of the stand, as well as weld it all up.

The homemade piece of channel is 3/16” thick and will be 4” long (see photo of raw material).

image.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought. Since the holes aren’t mirrored perfect, it would be nice to have some sort of keyway to keep it lined up. Probably not necessary when you will be the one using it though. Also I wonder if you could put the hinge pin under the inner pipe at times allowing you to rotate the table when working with smaller stuff.

It’s looking great though! What color paint? Clear would look great I think.

Just a thought. Since the holes aren’t mirrored perfect, it would be nice to have some sort of keyway to keep it lined up. Probably not necessary when you will be the one using it though. Also I wonder if you could put the hinge pin under the inner pipe at times allowing you to rotate the table when working with smaller stuff.

It’s looking great though! What color paint? Clear would look great I think.
The color will be high temperature gloss black to match the fixture stand it goes with.

The holes only lined up perfectly if I left it in it’s original position. Upon making height adjustments, the holes usually would not line up because they are 1/2” holes for a 1/2” hitch pin.

This morning, I drilled all of the holes in the inner tube to 5/8”. Now I am reducing the diameter of the inner tube by .010” because it was way too tight of a fit.

A871C033-AE9A-4568-B768-1105AD061F6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back