Height Adjustable Stand

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I will make a post on this project. This is a height adjustable stand that will be tasked with holding up 2 1/2” square tubing or 1 7/8” pipe that could have as much as 150 pounds on it.

This carbon steel, height adjustable stand could be used for anything, but I’ll be using it on a welding fixture stand. I would anticipate that I would often be leaning against it while it is doing it’s job.

The minimum height is 36”, give or take. The max height is 60”, give or take.

The base is a 12” square of 1/2” plate. The fixed, outside tube is .120” wall tubing with an I.D. of 1 3/4”. The telescoping tube is .120” wall tubing with an O.D. of 1 3/4”.

Both tubes are 36” long. I have just TIG tacked them together, & now I am drilling the holes which will accommodate the 1/2” diameter hitch pin (see photo).

4A72BEF9-DB80-48BD-99C7-F0F86B026517.jpeg

image.jpg

EDIT: I gave up on the idea of TIG welding the tubes together & then drilling dozens of holes through 2 tubes *real fast*! That seemed like a good way to get the tubes stuck together forever.

Last edited:
Looks like one of my many Kubota pins ! :grin:

That was way too many holes!

The DRO was a huge help.

image.jpg

After I drilled the holes in the outer tube, the inner tube would not slip in to it due to so many burrs from the drilled holes.

I am turning this inner tube down .007”, and I will pound it through the obstacles!

image.jpg

Last edited:
After I drilled the holes in the outer tube, the inner tube would not go in to to so many burrs from the drilled holes.

I am turning this inner tube down .002”, and I will pound it through the obstacles!

View attachment 402284
That's a way to do that. The tube may still hang up from the burrs.

There are inside deburring tools you could use. Noga makes some nice ones. I have two of them and found them very useful for inside holes.
Maybe you could use the RC2200? 10-22mm holes?
or RC2000 5-10mm holes?

They are 1/2” holes. I had to remove .014” from the diameter to do what I needed to do (pound past the many burrs).

Now I have clamped them together, and I have a nice *template* for the holes on the inner tube.

27090470-80C6-4DC4-9AC9-521DB15B4986.jpeg

Now I have clamped them together, and I have a nice *template* for the holes on the inner tube.
And , more burrs to deburr . :grin: I would just drill it separate without the " template ". You could spot drill it just above 1/2" so you wouldn't be raising those outside burrs also .

That was so much easier with the template!

image.jpg

Why wouldn’t you insert the inner tube prior to drilling the holes. There would have been no burrs on the outer tube, holes would align perfectly, and it would have been one shot. It’s looks like you had them tacked in you first pic?

Back