Heavy 10 Restoration Work In Progress.

John C

Registered
Registered
Hello all, my first here post on H-M. Here is the lathe I'm restoring. As purchased, and as it stood a couple days ago.
20160304_163508.jpg 20160327_220228.jpg
20160327_220245.jpg

It was literally a basket case, all major components removed and in baskets or boxes. Luckily all the major components were there, and in reasonably good condition. The bed has been ground, but it appears to have been done correctly. Can't date it since the serial number is no longer visible. 30 days in to the restoration today. I can't (don't want to) even count the hours..... On the upside, I now know this machine inside and out to the last tiniest screw. I'm sure I'll have LOTS of questions.

Last edited:
Apparently the album I created defaults to private. Can not change it to public. Permissions issue?

I'll be following your restoration with interest, I plan to start the restore on my heavy 10 in a few months.

Still can't post photos that aren't marked private, so verbal description only. I've got the taper attachment and a new cross feed screw installed and adjusted, about 20thou backlash. Saddle and apron completed, installed and functioning. A few minor items to resolve -- missing carriage lock shoe, will probably just make one -- and the handle was broken off the apron hand wheel. Probably will make that part as well.

Saved the headstock work for last. I was a bit concerned tearing into it, so I did lots of reading up first (with age comes wisdom ;)). Disassembled it and was pleased to find the bearings and spindle in very good shape. Cleaned, painted and reassembled it. New wicks throughout. Both front and rear bearings test @ .0007-.0008 movement using the SB test procedure. Got these measurements using a .001" indicator, now looking for a .0001" indicator to get a better reading. Let it run for 5 minutes on the middle cone pulley, and the bearing caps got just about "blood warm". (Using the proper A oil).

I'll pull the bearing caps again and check that it's oiling properly. Also I want to replace the shims as they were a bit ratty looking, and some were obviously home made.

Put the gear train on and it runs nice and quiet. Can't get power to the lead screw yet as the tumbler arm(s) that came with the machine are broken/worn-out. Seems to be a rather hard part to find. I'm cogitating on how to fabricate one until I can get an original.

JC

I see the tumbler assemblers come up on eBay occasionally at reasonable prices.
Did you get new matched X feed telescoping screw and nut, if so where did you get them , mine has about .008 backlash with a new nut, should of got the screw also.
Sounds like your gona have a good lathe when all said and done.

Got the screw and nut on eBay from a guy in Nebraska that makes new ones. Part of the backlash is probably due to the washers on either side of the bearings where the screw secures to the taper attachment. Was missing two washers, replaced with closest I could find. Will address that later. For now it's functional.

By tumbler, I'm referring to the tumbler arm at the bottom of the gearbox, not the reversing tumbler. I've been checking eBay daily, have yet to see one after several weeks looking.

Oops I was thinking reverse tumbler , my lathe came with bronze X feed washers/spacers .
I ended up useing thrust bearings at the taper end of screw also , had spares

Back