heat treating some 3/16" A-2 drill rod

I wouldn't bother with A2 unless I had a proper HT oven. HT'ing A2 starts to get expensive.
A2 requires higher temps (compared to O1) from what I've read.

Last edited:
I 'm looking for whatever way(s) there is to heat treat some 3/16" A-2 drill rod (these are small clutch pushrods). 5" long. I need them to be scale free after heat treating. I got a nice a Paragon heat treat oven and used it many times, but scale was never an issue as the parts would always be blasted before being used.

Brazing flux will work quite well. I have heated larger parts sprinkled on the flux heating the part to get the flux to flow (not necessarily red hot) prior to placing the item in the preheated heat treating furnace. dissolving some in alcohol sounds like a good idea. We had some D1 tool steel that didn't fully harden because of a prolonged heating I suspect. Turned around and made a box out of some 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate to hold this 4" diameter punch. Packing it in cast iron chips and letting it soak for about three hours and then turning off the oven and let it cool down overnight. The next day unpacked it brushed it off, heated it with a torch while sprinkling on the flux. It soaked at heat for about 4 hours we took it out of the furnace and cooled. The punch tested a Rc 62 rather than the 57 or 58 2 days prior without any scale on surface.

Back