heat treating some 3/16" A-2 drill rod

Clickspring uses Boric acid with denatured alcohol paste mix. Wraps the part with high temp wire to hold it all together.
I think it's nickel chromium wire, any wire that is high temp rated will work. McMasters has the wire. Chemical supply houses sell
98% pure boric acid powder. I plan to try Mikeys' GEHT. Good enough heat treatment. :) Toaster over that goes to 600° and has a decent
electronic temp control. Farberware and KitchenAide are good toaster ovens. Find them used on ebay. Good enough to start experimenting at home
w/o a big expense.

Is Mineral oil a good quench oil for heat treating O1 tool steel? or regular motor oil?

I just use ATF - less smoke, less flaming. Vegetable Oil works, to0.

I also just use rebar tying wire from the hardware store - cheap, holds up to the heat, easy to work.

Where I used to work they used a lot of A2. They wrapped tight in SS foil with a piece of paper inside to burn off all the oxygen. A quick polish with red scotch bright would shine the parts right up.

So did they unwrap the parts while they let them air cool or did they leave them in the ss foil and let them cool off?

Leave them in the foil till cool enough to unwrap. After unwrapped they draw them back

r. I plan to try Mikeys' GEHT. Good enough heat treatment. :) Toaster over that goes to 600° and has a decent
electronic temp control. Farberware and KitchenAide are good toaster ovens. Find them used on ebay. Good enough to start experimenting at home
w/o a big expense.
Wait, what? A toaster oven? Please explain.

For O1 tool steel annealing process, a toaster over that goes to 500-600 degrees F should work fine for many small tools.
Like a small cutter, reamers or d bit.

Back