heat treating some 3/16" A-2 drill rod

Understand annealing is part of the process but I need something to do the hardening.

A toaster oven may go hot enough for some tempering tasks, but it definitely does not get hot enough for hardening or annealing, which requires 1400 to 1700 degrees, depending on the alloy.

I was considering building a heat treat oven, but I might be money ahead to just keep my eyes open for one on an auction somewhere.

Understand annealing is part of the process but I need something to do the hardening.

For most tool steels we use in the shop, a Mapp gas torch gets hot enough. Propane will do small parts. If you need high temps then an Oxy/Acetylene torch works. Ideally, a heat treating oven is the best option as Terry says.

To do the job right, you need to get the material to a specific temp and the temp band is quite narrow. Then you need to dwell the material at that temp for a time; O-1 requires an hour at hardening temp. Then you can quench it or harden it in water or air or oil or whatever. Then you need to temper it at a specific temp for a specific time; again, you need an oven.

If you're going to make one off parts then a Mapp gas torch to get it hard and a toaster oven to temper it is more than sufficient for tools in the shop. If you're going for something that has to be a specified hardness for a special purpose then you need a heat treating and tempering oven.

Original post asked about treating A2 steel not O1.
Wrap in SS foil heat to 1350-1450F then continue heating to 1750-1800F.
Remove and let cool in still AIR.
Unwrap when cool enough to handle.

Boric acid can be bought at any pharmacy for very little $. Don't worry about getting acid burns, it is used in some eye washes.

I'm aware of that. I used O-1 as an example of dwelling at temp.

Thanks, that 's what I needed to know

Borax (sodium borate) is also used to prevent scale while heat treating. Much less expensive than boric acid. It is available in most supermarkets and hardware stores. Look in the laundry goods section.

We have fifty pound bags of BA at work. Don't think it would fit in my backpack though.

Is that stainless foil reuseable? Does it hold up to folding and unfolding?

Back