Guess I need to learn wrought iron work

I would get a judgment against him, that way even if he doesn't pay, he doesn't get off scott free. The judgment will hang around his neck.. not having insurance and just walking away ... he sees it as a good decision on his part, if you get a judgment against him, it's like a lien on his future. And he may re-think it .

I would fight the depreciation of the fence. Unless it was rusted out, there should be no degradation except the need for a coat of paint.

When people go shopping for insurance, they usually look at the upfront cost but a big factor is how well they pay out for claims. We get our vehicle insurance from American Family. I a little over a year, I had more than $13K in comprehensive claims (five deer-car incidents). My wife had two at fault collisions in the past twenty five years and a dump truck threw a rock though my windshield. Not once in thirty years have we seen a rate increase because of claims.
We have some experience with insurance companies after we lost our home/shop to fire.
Horace Mann provided an outstanding experience for us.
We were so blessed to have them as our carrier for our home and vehicles.

Had a young driver playing Evel Knievel on the levee road in front of the house. The good news he managed to walk away from the crash. Unlike the last one that didn’t make the corner. The bad news he didn’t have insurance and just the fence damage was 26 thousand. He came off the levee and jumped the six foot high fence then took out two gates 80 feet of fence and the gate opener. He ended up about two hundred feet from where he left the road into an oak tree.
Well, that sucks. It's always such fun when our lives are disrupted by idiots. I agree with others that you should pursue fair payment from the insurance company. You may have to get a little aggressive with them, but I bet they will ultimately pay to have it replaced. It's really up to the insurance company to go after the kid.
Since this is the second time this has happened to you, maybe you should replace the wrought iron fence with K Rails :grin big:

Ted

I haven’t thought about K rails. That is a good idea. The reclamation district controls the levee. Don’t know if they would allow it.

Back