Guess I need to learn wrought iron work

The police report said speed was in excess of fifty five. My best guess was close to seventy five. They did cite him for excessive speed , not having insurance, and not maintaining control of a vehicle. I feel for the officer that had to do the report. It was around ten pages long.

My ex was hit by a toker on a gas powered scooter (like a little kick scooter) going the wrong way on the sidewalk way too fast. He planted his face (no helmet) into the quarter panel of her mini van. I took one look at stoner and decided I would push out the dent myself and not report it to the insurance.

3 weeks later the guy made a claim against her insurance. The insurance company called, we sent them a police report and they gave us $1500 for repairs. 3 years later we received another $500 (for her deductible) because the insurance company took the total amount out of the guys pay check.

I would fight them on the depreciation... it was iron, not wood. Insurance companies are the scum of the earth but some times they actually can come through for you.

My ex was hit by a toker on a gas powered scooter (like a little kick scooter) going the wrong way on the sidewalk way too fast. He planted his face (no helmet) into the quarter panel of her mini van. I took one look at stoner and decided I would push out the dent myself and not report it to the insurance.

3 weeks later the guy made a claim against her insurance. The insurance company called, we sent them a police report and they gave us $1500 for repairs. 3 years later we received another $500 (for her deductible) because the insurance company took the total amount out of the guys pay check.

I would fight them on the depreciation... it was iron, not wood. Insurance companies are the scum of the earth but some times they actually can come through for you.
His point about fighting the insurance company is good. Give them as much aggravation plus 10% more. Might not give you anymore $$$ in your pocket but who knows?

If you can not find an affordable source for replacement panels the design does not look real difficult to make, The hardest part will be making the ~150 caps on the tops of each picket. (Maybe most if not all of the ones there can be saved.) Might be worth it to draw that part up and get quotes from a shop with CNC to crank them out. It will still take a LOT of time time to lay it all out and weld it up, not hard to do but a lot of time.

If you do get the insurance to pay up, expect a rate increase and a need to go insurance shopping.

Those caps are stock parts as I’ve seen them on fences up here. No idea where to source them but shouldn’t be too hard to find.

I would fight the depreciation of the fence. Unless it was rusted out, there should be no degradation except the need for a coat of paint.

When people go shopping for insurance, they usually look at the upfront cost but a big factor is how well they pay out for claims. We get our vehicle insurance from American Family. I a little over a year, I had more than $13K in comprehensive claims (five deer-car incidents). My wife had two at fault collisions in the past twenty five years and a dump truck threw a rock though my windshield. Not once in thirty years have we seen a rate increase because of claims.

It’s funny that around here similar used metal fencing is often for sale on CL. I think it’s old pool fencing. I‘m not into that so can’t say how much. But it sure seems like you need some kind of living fence like willow. They weave it together to get a crisscross patten and it gets insanely strong.

Just the other day as I got home from the afternoon walk I heard emergency vehicles which is not that unusual as they seem to go by to the state park down the road all the time. But this was close. Next day I bumped into a neighbor dog walker and he mentioned the noise and pulled out his phone. He took a pic of house a block away that we both walk by everyday on our way home and there was a minivan on its side on the sidewalk where he said he’d not been 5min before! He had heard the noise and doubled back. Mystery to me was how in the hell she ended up there like that. Must have been texting or paying attention to her gps or phone as it is straight there. I hardly ever saw a rollover but the last 20yrs that’s all I see.

That really sucks Steve. The price quoted to fix the fence is highway robbery.
I guess you cant get blood from a turnip or cash from a 20 year old kid.
Glad he walked away though.

Back