Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

DZ thanks for the suggestion that makes sense.

Tmarks...dude you are awesome thanks for the pics. AS FOR THE PLASTIC GEAR what the freaking hell??? On a $14k lathe??? I am not happy about that. (Coolidge wanders off to look at Haas lathes)

Tmarks did it look substantially larger than the 12x36 and 14x40 lathes?

Tmarks...dude you are awesome thanks for the pics

Just trying to push you over the cliff... :D

I drive by Bellingham at least once or twice a month, so I had to stop by. One of my trips, a lathe followed me home. My wife was surprised... I don't know why.

Tmarks did it look substantially larger than the 12x36 and 14x40 lathes?
Oh yes. It makes the typical 12x36 lathes look like toys. When I bought my G0709G, I had been using a Jet GH1440ZX (similarly massive to the G0607). The 12x36 class machines (including my G0709G) felt tiny in comparison. Now a year later, the G0709G seems like a decent size.

Fit and finish is substantially better... it make the G0509G look crude.

Last edited:
I will definitely drive up there to look this lathe over in person before purchasing. What sucks is Bellingham isn't open on the weekends so that means taking off work and dealing with that horrendous traffic. I realize the plastic gear is there to save the lathe in case of a crash but I'll be honest I was repulsed at the sight of the thing. Its funny, looking at the pics you posted of the lathe without a frame of reference for size, it looked kind of dinky. lol

What sucks is Bellingham isn't open on the weekends so that means taking off work and dealing with that horrendous traffic.

Yeah, would be nice if they at least were open one Sat a month. But I think 95% of their sales are internet. Their Bellingham showroom never has more than a couple customers in it, so I guess they don't really see that expanded hours would increase their business.

If you can stand waiting 6-7 weeks: Grizzly Tent Sale. 2nd May (Saturday). Or you could fly to the Missouri or PA showroom; they are open on Saturdays. :D

Coolidge, it is dinky, when you consider that old American iron from Pacemaker, Monarch etc would be about 5000 lbs for a 16 x 40, but of course an Old American lathe that size would actually swing 18 or 19. I spent a lot of time on a 1938 Monarch 16 inch lathe, that makes the Grizzly look like a toy. I might be the fool but they got my money today on one. Bought a small wood working sander to make the 2 tool deal. Got $650 off, it will be here in 2 weeks when my rigger gets back from vacation.

michael

Congrats Michael, I look forward to your review and its nice to know mine will be forever newer than yours. ;-)

So that's about 5% off, its nice to know that if my scheming plan to get a 10% off discount code fails I can at least negotiate 5% off. I hear you on the industrial lathes, I keep eyeing the Mori Seiki and its licensed by Mori twin the Hwacheon both about 5,000 lbs. A new Hwacheon costs like $37k though :eek 2: About a year ago my brother found a used Mori for sale in California, it was in like new condition and only $9k someone snatched it up quick.

tmarks yes I saw they are having a tent sale that's only about 6 weeks out, I'm in no big hurry. Then...there's that Haas Mini Mill 2...(Coolidge begins chanting, refreshes his Resist Haas spell)

Coolidge, it is dinky, when you consider that old American iron from Pacemaker, Monarch etc would be about 5000 lbs for a 16 x 40, but of course an Old American lathe that size would actually swing 18 or 19.
This machine is 3700# (which is twice the weight of the typical 12x36), so I wouldn't call it "dinky" wrt a 5000# Monarch. Smaller, but not that much smaller.

Congrats on the machine, looking forward to hearing about it. The ones that come in boxes sometimes aren't as pretty as the ones on the showroom floor (shocking, I know).

tmarks yes I saw they are having a tent sale that's only about 6 weeks out, I'm in no big hurry.
Maybe someone will break some knobs off the G0670, and you can get one at the tent sale... probably not, though.

Maybe someone will break some knobs off the G0670, and you can get one at the tent sale... probably not, though.

Well you do drive by there twice a month, I can ship you a small ball peen hammer?

Back