Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

coolidge

Active User
Registered
After scouring the interweb for 16x40 lathe choices I have settled on the Grizzly G0670 as the best bang for the buck. On sale in the 2015 Grizzly catalog for $13,495 plus $495 shipping, that's $1,000 off. As is my style when buying a machine I'll be researching the thing to death in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be making some comparisons to the Grizzly South Bend 16x40 model 1037 lathe, look familiar? Priced north of $20k there are some differences.

So I'll start with a quick visual comparison between the G0670 and South Bend...well even though its painted in hideous Grizzly green (Grizzly come on nobody is painting their machines green anymore) I say the G0670 wins the first comparison with its solid one piece cast iron base, vs the two piece base on the SB. I also prefer the black control panels, levers, and knobs on the G0670. The SB has a chuck guard...meh, the SB backsplash is curved...meh and pretty much everything else looks exactly the same doesn't it. lol

There are some differences under the hood. So far I found that the SB has a 7.5 hp motor vs the G0670 5 hp. The SB uses Allen Bradley electronics vs G0670 Taiwan, there are pictures of both electrical cabinets and they are different. Oddly both have a Yasakawa G7 inverter yet the SB inverter is larger hmmm. The SB has NSK or NTN Japanese spindle bearings. The G0670 doesn't say much about the spindle bearings beyond "Top Quality Bearings" noted in the catalog. The SB notes some components are manufactured in Japan and the USA, the G0670 looks to be 100% Taiwan. That's about all I have found so far. I would guess that if I could compare the inspection sheets for both lathes the allowed tolerances for the SB would be tighter. In any case I think the value proposition of the G0670 wins. If need be I could upgrade bearings and electronics at some point.

Here's what the president of Grizzly had to say about the G0670...

Where's the popcorn...

Bill hey feel free to share any info you have dug up on the Pratt Burnerd chucks in this thread. I haven't had a chance to look into them so I'd appreciate any info you could share. I'll be looking at the SamChully, Bison, and if Darkzero starts trouble I'll post some Schunk chucks.

rhchipper I decided a CNC mill is priority #1 vs a CNC lathe. Also, the TL1 optioned ballooned to $33k plus $2,500 sales tax plus $5,000 Gibscam plus $3,000 shipping and rigging plus $2500 RPC = $46,000 ouch!

I see the South Bend has a Micrometer stop on it.
That must be what the extra $7000 is for. :D

I spy a machined slot for a DRO cable (red arrow)...(ring) hello DroPro's...Also note the long thick base under the compound slide, that was one of the reasons I liked this lathe over the G0509G. I like the black handles, I don't like the satin chrome finish on my G4003G it feels unpleasant. Also looks like they put a way wiper on the front of the cross slide.

On a side note I'm waiting to hear back from Grizzly the width of the compound and the distance from the top of the compound to the lathe center height, this is for confirming the Dorian CXA is the correct QCTP. They make a CA that also fits 16 inch lathes but it was too large for the G0509G.

Update: The Yasakawa G7 drive is larger on the SB because it has a 7.5hp motor vs the G0670 5hp...duh!

I see the South Bend has a Micrometer stop on it.
That must be what the extra $7000 is for. :D

Would it be mean if I ordered a replacement Micrometer stop for the SB and put it on the G0670? ;)

Back