Grizzly 13x40 G1031 for $500?

It was not a bogus add. I just got there first....what did we ever do before smart phones???

I found a bad contactor as expected. I suspect there are a couple other wiring quirks as well but I can't seem to locate a manual for it yet. Hopefully a phone call to Grizzly will help as it's not available on line.

It was definately the dwal I had been waiting for.
I have this lathe, it was discontinued about 1999. I have the manual, but it doesn't have a lot of information. There is a wiring diagram, parts diagram and lube chart. What do you need to know?

Thanks video man. Could I trouble you for a pdf of the wiring schematic? Some one has modified the wiring a little...mainly the keyed switch for the coolant pump has been utilized as part of the run circuit. And a cord set has been wired to the coolant pump. Not a big deal... I almost like it so my kids can't turn it on without the key....
I would like whatever other docs you feel like sharing as well. How many pages is the manual? How long have you had yours and any weaknesses to watch out for? I figure the more info the better. I was thinking that this same model was likely sold under other name brands as well and I might have a chance of getting hold of the missing change gears that way...long shot but worth a search or two...

Thanks again for any help.

The manual is 32 pages, the wiring diagram is pretty basic, not greatly detailed. The mechanical parts breakdown is pretty good. If you want to PM me an address maybe the best thing would be to Xerox it and mail it to you, I also have an article I did for Machinist's Workshop about the lathe that I can send you. I think it's a very good lathe, mine is accurate and has the advantage over some similar machines in that most threads can be accomplished in the gearbox without physically changing gears. I have figured out several more threading feeds using the change gears, and can send that as well. I did change out the Asian drive belts, which had a "lump" in them that caused a little striation, but other than that ---moderate to light use for the last 15 years ---I have been delighted with the machine.

It was not a bogus add. I just got there first....what did we ever do before smart phones???

I found a bad contactor as expected. I suspect there are a couple other wiring quirks as well but I can't seem to locate a manual for it yet. Hopefully a phone call to Grizzly will help as it's not available on line.

It was definately the dwal I had been waiting for.

Just to let you know that I have a G1031 which I bought in 1994. It has been getting progressively worse in the last couple of years as far as the forward contactor control is concerned - (burned contacts ??)
I have a dialog going with Grizzly to see what kind of fix they suggest. Obviously the original parts are not available. I've asked them for cost to replace the failed contactor, and to rebuild the entire board containing all the electricals. Expecting an answer in next day or so.

I have a manual if you would like to copy it. We don't live very far apart - I'm down in Camas.

Chuck Clark

I know this is an old post, but figured it might be worth it to post. Just purchased a non-working G1031 lathe and the wiring was half taken out. I was wondering if anyone who owned one could send me pictures of behind the electrical panel of theirs so I can see how it should look and the parts it would have in it. I believe mine just needs to be re-wired and probably some new electrical components. All mechanical parts seem to work, just no power.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I do have the PDF manual if anyone needs it.

Thanks video_man, I got some good idea of what to do, was wondering if I could get a picture or two more straight on so I can see the wiring better. I just got two new contactor switches and ready to wire it. The wiring diagram for this lathe isn’t complete in the manual, and from a newer version I think I got it figured out but wanted to make sure. If someone else had the same problems, grizzly doesn’t sell electronics for it, but found the magnetic contactors on amazon for $40 each. They are 32A instead of 30, but everything is will be the same. Will try to upload a wiring picture once’s I have it all mounted and working.

Thanks video_man, I got some good idea of what to do, was wondering if I could get a picture or two more straight on so I can see the wiring better. I just got two new contactor switches and ready to wire it. The wiring diagram for this lathe isn’t complete in the manual, and from a newer version I think I got it figured out but wanted to make sure. If someone else had the same problems, grizzly doesn’t sell electronics for it, but found the magnetic contactors on amazon for $40 each. They are 32A instead of 30, but everything is will be the same. Will try to upload a wiring picture once’s I have it all mounted and working.
Unfortunately there is no space behind the lathe that I can get into for a straight shot. I shot these by lying on the floor and sticking the camera in as best I could. If there is a specific area you are interested in I'll try, but I'm basically shooting blind...I did find the wiring diagrams from my manual, lathe bought in 1999 so may be closer to yours. One thing you might look out for, the microswitch on the end of the control rod seems to be a potential weak point, it is likely to gather crud over the years as it is not well sealed.

Attachments

• img049.jpg
    img049.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 8
  • img050.jpg
    img050.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back