Grinder for lathe cutters

I own one of them Veritas tool rests. It's okay but a little flimsy. The tool rest is aluminum, which is the worst material for a tool rest; you really want steel for the table so the burrs on the tool don't snag on the top. Not trying to discourage you but I would not buy another one myself. I also have the Glendo Grind-R table and that one is solid. However, grit gets into the angle adjustment and makes it a bit balky when adjusting it. It does work and is solid steel so I like it better than the Veritas-type rest on my bench grinder.

For lathe tool grinding, I don't like fixtures at all. It locks you into the restrictions of the fixture and that is a deal breaker for me. I much prefer a good rest that can be set at precise angles and then free hand shape the tool. This is far better when grinding custom tools and the skill is easily learned.

Just my $0.02.

Here is a current quick change bit holder like mine available directly from China for 5 bucks. Holds up to 1/2" (13mm) bits. I use one for holding bits when sharpening. I didn't cut off the height adjust stud on mine but it could be removed to get it out of the way.
View attachment 242919
Hey Wayne, how do you like the QC bit holder from China?does it fit your tool holder like it should? I ordered one just to see how it fits my OXA QCTP ,still waiting but in the meanwhile I made 3 of them myself (used Aluminum) , very happy with how they turned out.

Why aluminum? That would seem an unlikely choice for tool holders.
That's what I had available, I have a mini lathe and a mini mill, don't machine a lot of mild steel with them even though I can, actually I'm planing on making a couple more with steel.

For lathe tool grinding, I don't like fixtures at all. It locks you into the restrictions of the fixture and that is a deal breaker for me.

MIke, with your experience you can cut the angles you want by eye-ball. I want something to hold the tool at the right angle to get the rough grind on it. then I can polish/hone it to do the cutting. I''m making a steel guide with a couple of angles, for starters. Probably, once i''m accustomed to what I'm supposed to be doing I can go back to eye-ball.

MIke, with your experience you can cut the angles you want by eye-ball. I want something to hold the tool at the right angle to get the rough grind on it. then I can polish/hone it to do the cutting. I''m making a steel guide with a couple of angles, for starters. Probably, once i''m accustomed to what I'm supposed to be doing I can go back to eye-ball.

Tom, I totally get it, believe me. How do you think I knew about that South Bend jig? ;)

Hey Wayne, how do you like the QC bit holder from China?does it fit your tool holder like it should? I ordered one just to see how it fits my OXA QCTP ,still waiting but in the meanwhile I made 3 of them myself (used Aluminum) , very happy with how they turned out.
Hi Ken. Well actually I bought that holder only to hold bits when shaping them on the grinder so there would be a larger surface area to stabilize the bit on the grinder rest, especially for smaller bits like 1/4". I used it for 5/16" bits and it was great as there was more to hold onto with my big hands. At the time I didn't have a QC post set but I purchased one later which was an all steel post with wedge type locks and all steel holders. The QC holder I got from China actually was smaller than my OXA QC post. I have never ordered a OXA size holder from China so I cannot verify their quality. All mine came from Little Machine Shop and Shars which may or may not be made in China. I saw where Shars claims US made carbide cutting tools but I am not sure of their holders. (The one I had posted in the photo was one on ebay but not exactly the one I bought, just posted it as an example)

Last edited:
Why aluminum? That would seem an unlikely choice for tool holders.

Actually, for a small lathe, aluminum works fine for tool holders provided they are made well and have enough mass in the upper ledge where the locking screws go. All my tool holders that I made for my Sherline are aluminum and so are the tool holders that came with the tool post. My aluminum boring bar holder will hold a 3/8" carbide bar at full extension with no issues at all; very solid, very accurate.

For bigger than about an 8" lathe, I agree that steel is a better choice.

Back