Grinder for lathe cutters

South Bend made a tool grinding fixture that was pretty cool. Looked like this:
attachment.php

You could lock a square tool bit in the jig and set the angles you needed with the tool rest set at zero degrees.
This tool is not commonly found and are sought after on eBay. I suspect you could regrind a tool to pretty precise angles with one of these fixtures.

Then again, you can grind whatever you need with a ruler, a Sharpie, and a good tool rest. After some practice, you can dispense with the ruler and Sharpie. Just my opinion but I find fixtures too restricting but there are a lot of guys out there who like these things and will pay good money for them.

attachment.php

You could lock a square tool bit in the jig and set the angles you needed with the tool rest set at zero degrees.
This tool is not commonly found and are sought after on eBay. I suspect you could regrind a tool to pretty precise angles with one of these fixtures.

Then again, you can grind whatever you need with a ruler, a Sharpie, and a good tool rest. After some practice, you can dispense with the ruler and Sharpie. Just my opinion but I find fixtures too restricting but there are a lot of guys out there who like these things and will pay good money for them.
Looks quite interesting. If someone were to measure one it would make a fun project for a starting toolgrinder I think.
Peter

attachment.php

That is a fine piece of equipment!

So, I want to make bits. I have a harbor freight bench grinder. Not a great tool to be sure, but can it be made usable?

I've seen the threads talking about modifications to a belt sander. That's another option. Any suggestions on what to look for?
I used my grinder and eventually it gummed up and grinding became difficult. I am new so I read up on it and found an interesting word.... "DRESSER". I got a cheap grinder dresser and cleaned the stones. Makes a big difference. You guys are probably way way ahead on all this but maybe it will help some greenhorn like me. This one is a Forney.
FORNEY GRINDER DRESSER.jpg

Just for laughs I have a photo of my grinder bench. I sit on an old castor swivel chair in a 2 1/2 foot space between the lathe and the grinder bench. If I rotate 180 degrees in my chair from the lathe I can access the grinder bench. The available space in the room is 7 1/2 by 8 feet between walls including the space taken by lathe and the bench. You may notice the aluminum pie pans behind the grinder to deflect sparks. The salsa jar holds water to cool bits. The bench is an antique cast iron wood stove stand with plywood backed up with 2x lumber set on top of the stand. The drill press has a cross slide vise on the platen and I have the platen turned to the side to keep it from interfering with my swivel chair when I am turned toward the lathe. There is a cheap vise mounted to a piece of plywood under the bench which I pull out and place on my lap to use. There is an igloo ice chest insert plastic box which is under the bench next to the vise board to hold a hand drill and other tools. You can see the drill cord draped over the bench going to the box. There is a plastic storage tray cover on the floor standing on its edge between the lathe bench and the tool chests which I use on top of the drawer on the lathe bench as an extra platform to take stuff apart without losing small screws etc. That long dowel leaning against the press with an end stuck in the plastic whipped butter container on the floor is a long dowel with a magnet attached to the end for picking up dropped steel parts/stuff. The walls are covered with antique tools and implements. Have a good laugh!

LATHE 9-27-17 C.jpg

tool wall.jpg

Last edited:
Looks quite interesting. If someone were to measure one it would make a fun project for a starting toolgrinder I think.
Peter

This tool has been reproduced by a number of guys. Pretty sure you can find the plans somewhere on the net, Woodbee. I think the only hitch might be broaching the holes but that can be overcome with some tooling. Have fun if you go for it.

Just for laughs I have some photos of my grinder bench. I sit on an old castor swivel chair in a 2 1/2 foot space between the lathe and the grinder bench. If I rotate 180 degrees in my chair from the late I can access the grinder bench. The available space in the room is 7 1/2 by 8 feet including the space taken by lathe and the bench. You may notice the aluminum pie pans behind the grinder to deflect sparks. The salsa jar holds water to cool bits. The bench is an antique cast iron wood stove stand with plywood backed up with 2x lumber set on top of the stand.The drill press has a cross slide vise on the platen and I have the platen turned to the side to keep it from interfering with my swivel chair when I am turned toward the lathe. There is a cheap vise mounted to a piece of plywood under the bench which I pull out and place on my lap to use. There is an igloo ice chest insert plastic box which is under the bench next to the vise board to hold a hand drill and other tools. You can see the drill cord draped over the bench going to the box. Have a good laugh!

View attachment 242923

Heck, Wayne, you still have open space in your shop! We got a guy named Charlie Spencer here and you should see his shop space. I saw a picture of it once quite some time ago and I'm STILL impressed!

Compared to some of the guys here, your shop is well equipped.

Heck, Wayne, you still have open space in your shop! We got a guy named Charlie Spencer here and you should see his shop space. I saw a picture of it once quite some time ago and I'm STILL impressed!

Compared to some of the guys here, your shop is well equipped.
U R Right. I think I have about one square foot to the left of the grinder bench. I can just move the junk on the floor and maybe put a parts drawer set up there.
"Before the beginning of great brilliance there must be chaos."

This tool has been reproduced by a number of guys. Pretty sure you can find the plans somewhere on the net, Woodbee. I think the only hitch might be broaching the holes but that can be overcome with some tooling. Have fun if you go for it.
Thanks, I'll take a look if I can find them. I am a sucker for this kind of projects. It will take a while though. I am in the process of changing shops (for 10 months already). The new shop will be very nice, but it will have less than 1/4 of the floorspace and because I am a "collector" it is a time consuming and painful process.
Peter

edit: I found this:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/nos-nib-sb-lathe-tool-sharpening-jig.33527/#post-283649

Last edited:
B.t.w. does anyone have experience with grinding lathe tools on Deckel so Machines or clones? (D bit grinder, u3 grinder etc.)?
I am going to pick one (used) up this weekend (Chinese clone, looks very much like the one Stephan Gotteswinter uses) with all the bells and whistles and am wondering if it will also be any good for this.
Peter

Back