Grinder for lathe cutters

South Bend made a tool grinding fixture that was pretty cool. Looked like this:

You could lock a square tool bit in the jig and set the angles you needed with the tool rest set at zero degrees.
This tool is not commonly found and are sought after on eBay. I suspect you could regrind a tool to pretty precise angles with one of these fixtures.

Then again, you can grind whatever you need with a ruler, a Sharpie, and a good tool rest. After some practice, you can dispense with the ruler and Sharpie. Just my opinion but I find fixtures too restricting but there are a lot of guys out there who like these things and will pay good money for them.

Neat
I'll print one out of carbon fiber this weekend and see how she works!

South Bend made a tool grinding fixture that was pretty cool. Looked like this:
attachment.php

You could lock a square tool bit in the jig and set the angles you needed with the tool rest set at zero degrees.
This tool is not commonly found and are sought after on eBay. I suspect you could regrind a tool to pretty precise angles with one of these fixtures.

Then again, you can grind whatever you need with a ruler, a Sharpie, and a good tool rest. After some practice, you can dispense with the ruler and Sharpie. Just my opinion but I find fixtures too restricting but there are a lot of guys out there who like these things and will pay good money for them.

I just drew almost this exact tool in cad a few nights ago. It's on my list of things to make.

Are you going to share that CAD drawing with us? Huh! Huh!
(please)

grumpy

Where did you find it?

Google (or rather Duckduckgo) is your friend. Its name is Veritas, look for Veritas tool rest. The one I had came from a high end carpentry supply in Harrisburg, PA, over a dozen years ago, when I was contemplating a hobby of wood working. Metal work won out. I found a retailer in Oregon, haven't heard from them yet. Probably shouldn't expect an answer till Monday.

Google (or rather Duckduckgo) is your friend. Its name is Veritas, look for Veritas tool rest. The one I had came from a high end carpentry supply in Harrisburg, PA, over a dozen years ago, when I was contemplating a hobby of wood working. Metal work won out. I found a retailer in Oregon, haven't heard from them yet. Probably shouldn't expect an answer till Monday.
The Oregon retailer is probably the way to go. I checked Ebay and there were three Veritas Tool Rests listed for 58.00, 65.00 and 80.00 shipping not specified all from the UK. You can bet shipping will be high from the UK.

Last edited:
Back